How to keep a rooted android secure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
Are there any whitelisting apps I should use if I decide to root my phone? Because I noticed if you root your phone, and do everything you can to secure it, it is more secure than it was before. Let me know if I am wrong. Thanks!

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Think before you take the plunge. Ask yourself " why should i root?". Once you get rooted and change the the default recovery to a custom recovery then its very difficult to have "android pay" and some games like Pokemon get working. ( you then need either SUhide or magisk manager to actively hide your rooted status). The benefits of rooting is obviously a custom ROM of your choice and the apps like ad-away, twrp, and the removal of bloated apps from your phone. Well weigh the benefits and read, and i cant stress it more research and read on XDA.
If you ask me about security its 50- 50 ...depends...like that. its more secure and less secure at the same time. It all depend solely up on you and your knowledge.
NB: always take a nandroid backup once you install custom recovery
Some apps you can use for more safety.
1. Afwall
2. Hidden Device Admin Detector
3. Adaway

Last edited:

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Definitely spend time on XDA for your device and read, re-read, and ask clarification questions when you're uncertain (don't ask, "how do I..?" without making certain there aren't instructions for "how to".

I cannot imagine owning a device without root/admin access. It's like...what? really? I can't do whatever I want with my device used only by me that I purchased with my money? What? I don't think so.

AdAway and Xprivacy are must-haves.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I have one rooted and one unrooted Android right now. I only download from playstore, xda, xposed and fdroid. Sometime download from other websites too but only after verifying they're trustworthy. I keep unknown sources turned off, only turn on while installing and turning off immediately after installation finishes.
Agreed with everyone above. Afwall+, Adaway, Xprivacy(if you install xposed) are must. Let me add minminguard and Youtube adaway if you use youtube app.
Does anyone know an alternative for xprivacy for the devices that don't support xposed like Nougat? Even if it gets support eventually, xposed takes a long time to get support on newest android version.

Reactions: Ink
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.