How to know your Application's Integrity level?

• Thread starter Deleted member 178
  • Start date

Useful?

• Yes

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
If you read this : What is the Windows Integrity Mechanism?

You will surely say :" ok that is cool , but how it is useful to me?"

There comes the mighty @Umbra !

by following those simple steps, you will have a better comprehension of Integrity levels.

1- download and install a system monitoring tool like Process Explorer (or Process Hacker); those two are "must-be-in-present" in your system.

2- Run it, (i will use process Explorer for the guide)

3- do as the screenshots

JxQFmM9.png

4- Then you will see the integrity levels of each processes.

5- on this screenshot you can see the integrity level of Chrome set as "Untrusted" (it is the lowest and safest level you can have in Win7 ).

6- However in Win8/10 , a new level is called Appcontainer , this level is even safer than Untrusted , basically the process is "sandboxed" by the OS. All Apps from Windows Store run in AppContainer.
It is why Apps from Windows Store are safer than most of the software you will find on the net, which usually runs at medium or low integrity levels.

7- Now , because i want Chrome to be uber-safe , i tweaked it to be ran at "appcontainer" level :

D2Ytmsd.png

(some of you will say "oh there is some processes not in Appcontainer level !", indeed because Chrome have some processes needing to run a those levels; on my previous screenshots; all of them were at untrusted because i used chrome in Sandboxie; so Chrome inherited Sandboxie own level).

That is all , hope you found this guide useful :D

Last edited by a moderator:

void011

Level 2
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
I tried enabling this option and the result is my Chrome sometimes freezed after a while. Had to force it close.
Then I re-opened, it wouldn't start until I restarted the system :confused:

If I don't force close, it would become normal after umm.. 15 minutes :confused:

My PC never likes my tweaks :oops:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Thanks for the info,

I find process explorer better than the built in task manager, Just wished M$ would intergrate it into windows.
Why would they do that. It's more confusing for the average user. Those that know what they are doing can do it manually.

Reactions: Azure
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.