Advice Request How to make a full system backup on Android

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have a Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 and I want to make a full system backup. Not just user data and app settings, but more like the "system image" type of backup, which can restore my installed apps along with my data and settings.
I want to backup this phone before I root it.

byronbytes

Level 2
Mar 30, 2022
I'm pretty sure that you can run an ADB command to create a backup of most data such as the current settings, apps, and shared storage.

adb backup -apk -shared -all -f backup.ab

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Unless rooted you cannot make a full backup.
Also, as far as I know its not possible to make system image in Android like the way we can do in Windows.
So let's say I root. Then how do I make a full backup, and how do I restore it?

In order to root, the instructions I was following said to install "lazyflasher-no-verity-opt-encrypt" on the phone.
I downloaded it, and unzipped it, but couldn't figure out how to actually install it. There is no APK file. So I uninstalled Magisk at that point, fearing I would bork the phone at the next reboot. At that point I realized I better make a backup before it's too late.

Getting back to the original question, is there a way to protect myself from the tedious process of reinstalling everything on my phone, in case it gets borked instead of rooted?

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
So let's say I root. Then how do I make a full backup, and how do I restore it?

In order to root, the instructions I was following said to install "lazyflasher-no-verity-opt-encrypt" on the phone.
I downloaded it, and unzipped it, but couldn't figure out how to actually install it. There is no APK file. So I uninstalled Magisk at that point, fearing I would bork the phone at the next reboot. At that point I realized I better make a backup before it's too late.

Getting back to the original question, is there a way to protect myself from the tedious process of reinstalling everything on my phone, in case it gets borked instead of rooted?
You can use something like TWRP custom recovery image which has a system image option called Nandroid backup.

• +Reputation
Reactions: roger_m and shmu26

cryogent

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
It's been a while since I've done this on a phone but from what I remember without full rights you can't back up, I don't think it works through adb either for the same reason, especially since many of the settings of some applications you want to back up reside in the system.
You can use a custom recovery to let you do that.
Just make sure you are well informed so you don't crash it (soft brick or hard brick).
For more information you can search :
Here , Here , Here or Here

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
As mentioned, you need to root your device to be able to make a full backup.
In addition to what @Deletedmessiah said about doing a Nandroid backup which creates an image, you can also do a full backup of all your apps including their data and your phone's settings with Titanium Backup.

When I buy a new phone, or before installing new custom firmware on my phone, I use Titanium Backup to crate a backup of all my installed apps and their app data. I can then restore the backup on the new or updated device and will not only get back all the apps I was using previously, but any saved data from the apps too.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
As mentioned, you need to root your device to be able to make a full backup.
In addition to what @Deletedmessiah said about doing a Nandroid backup which creates an image, you can also do a full backup of all your apps including their data and your phone's settings with Titanium Backup.

When I buy a new phone, or before installing new custom firmware on my phone, I use Titanium Backup to crate a backup of all my installed apps and their app data. I can then restore the backup on the new or updated device and will not only get back all the apps I was using previously, but any saved data from the apps too.
Sounds good!
I am not sure what method to use for rooting. I could do it the fastboot way, but I will lose my data. I could do it the other way, but I read somwhere that I won't get updates anymore.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Sounds good!
I am not sure what method to use for rooting. I could do it the fastboot way, but I will lose my data. I could do it the other way, but I read somwhere that I won't get updates anymore.
This is a good place to start.

Also, see this regarding updates.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.