Guide | How To How to make your Windows Protected - For Beginners

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Make sure your computer is protected by an Antivirus solution and all necessary security solution and keep them updated.
Making sure your computer is fully up-to-date with Windows Updates would be my very first suggestion.

Realtime:(only one of them)
-Avast Free Antivirus combined with Comodo Firewall or Online Armor (Recommended)
-AVG Free Antivirus combined with Comodo Firewall or Online Armor
-Panda Cloud Free Antivirus combined with Comodo Firewall or Online Armor
-Comodo Internet Security

Add Some OnDemand Scanner & scan your pc every week with on-demand scanner

On-Demand Scanners (All of Them) (Recommended)
-Malwarebytes
-Comodo Cleaning Essentials
-Emsisoft Emergency Kit
-Hitman Pro(Scanner Only)

Reactions: Logethica

InternetChicken

Jul 16, 2012
Comodo Firewall is not the only free fire wall in the world

Privatefirewall + online armor also work just fine so dose the windows firewall,

P

Plexx

Unknown said:
Make sure your computer is protected by an Antivirus solution and all necessary security solution and keep them updated.

Realtime:(only one of them)
-Avast Free Antivirus combined with Comodo Firewall (Recommended)
-AVG Free Antivirus combined with Comodo Firewall
-Panda Cloud Free Antivirus combined with Comodo Firewall
-Comodo Internet Security combine with Threatfire - (optional)

On-Demand Scanners (All of Them) (Recommended)
-Malwarebytes
-Comodo Cleaning Essentials
-Emsisoft Emergency Kit

Beginners: CIS and TF are not a good combination. Although CIS does work out of the box for most users, beginners will be a harder audience to get used to the terminology etc, let alone add ThreatFire to the mix.

Like IC said, there are other firewalls that are free.

You can even throw in windows 7 firewall with Tinywall or PrivateFirewall.

For beginners, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on demand scanner and HitMan Pro (scan only) is more than enough. Throwing in CCE and EEK will just make the user scratch their had.

jolan57

Aug 19, 2012
comodo not suitable for Beginners user
i think Avast free +windows firewall(7+8) is better for them

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Making sure your computer is fully up-to-date with Windows Updates would be my very first suggestion.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
"You Tried" :) effort, but you're forgetting the wider-world of other reputable software. Therefore, I only agree to the quoted part below.

Unknown said:

Edit: +1 to Tom.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
McLovin said:
Is this your guide or someones else?

no, its mine
InternetChicken said:
Comodo Firewall is not the only free fire wall in the world

Privatefirewall + online armor also work just fine so dose the windows firewall,

i am so sorry i forgot about online armor but i don't have any idea about private firewall
Biozfear said:
Beginners: CIS and TF are not a good combination. Although CIS does work out of the box for most users, beginners will be a harder audience to get used to the terminology etc, let alone add ThreatFire to the mix.

Like IC said, there are other firewalls that are free.

You can even throw in windows 7 firewall with Tinywall or PrivateFirewall.

For beginners, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on demand scanner and HitMan Pro (scan only) is more than enough. Throwing in CCE and EEK will just make the user scratch their had.

sir i know CIS and TF are not a good combination then only i write it optional & i already told Internet Chicken that i forgot about Online Armor Hitman Pro is not free & windows firewall is too weak(myexperience)
Tom172 said:

Thanks for suggestion i also added this whole line to my guide
Earth said:
"You Tried" :) effort, but you're forgetting the wider-world of other reputable software. Therefore, I only agree to the quoted part below.

Unknown said:

Edit: +1 to Tom.

Thanks for Suggestion
ZeroDay said:
There's no need for TF along side CIS.

yes i removed it.

jolan57 said:
comodo not suitable for Beginners user
i think Avast free +windows firewall(7+8) is better for them

windows firewall is not much strong as my experience

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
There's a similar topic using 'Free Security' for Novices, with additional information by Littlebits (Post#2).

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Guide-to-free-security-for-novices

(Cheers to Umbra for finding it).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.