Guide | How To How To Open DOC Files With LibreOffice

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

BCHatesMalware

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 5, 2013
How To Open A Microsoft DOC/DOCX File In LibreOffice Writer:

1. Go to the LibreOffice Web Site: http://www.libreoffice.org/, and click on the following button, on: http://www.libreoffice.org/ to download LibreOffice to your computer:

upload_2013-12-26_2-33-13.png

2. Once LibreOffice is downloaded and installed, please click/double-click, either on your desktop or in the LIbreOffice Installation Folder on the <LibreOffice Writer> icon -->upload_2013-12-26_2-37-19.png to open <LibreOffice Writer>.

3a. Once in <LibreOffice Writer>, click on: <File>, on the following menu bar:
(The <highlighted green area> with the <red arrow> pointing to it.)
upload_2013-12-26_3-20-11.png

3b. Clicking on <File> will cause a list of options to appear on your screen:
upload_2013-12-26_3-22-54.png

4a. In this Drop-Down Menu List, click on the second option: <Open>.
(The <green highlighted area> with the <red arrow> pointing to it.)
upload_2013-12-26_3-25-7.png

4b. Then, the following Dialog Box will open (Please Note: My computer has Windows 7, so this is the Default Documents location in Windows 7; If you use an earlier version of Windows--this Dialog Box will look differently. You can also choose a spot to open a document from, which we will cover in just a minute.):

<Windows 7 Default Documents Location>
upload_2013-12-26_3-29-27.png

4c. Now, either type in the name of the document file in the: <File name:> box, or go find it in this Documents Folder.

4d. Then, click on the: <[Open] Button> on the bottom, right-hand side of this <Open> Dialog Box.

** To choose a different place to open a document from, please follow these steps:**
a. Go to this search box (where the <black arrow> is pointing to <the highlighted green area>), on the right hand side of the <Open> Dialog Box:

upload_2013-12-26_3-13-52.png

b. Then, type in the name of your document: <Your Document.doc/docx>, and then click the <Search Button> (it looks like a magnifying glass), on the very right hand side of this search box (where the <red arrow> is pointing to <the highlighted blue magnifying glass>.

c. Once the <magnifying glass> is clicked on, then Windows will search for and find your document file. All you need to do, to open the document file, is to: click/double-click on the document file that appears in the Search Results Box, that will appear once the search is complete.

5. After a moment or so, <LibreOffice Writer> should have successfully loaded up the Microsoft DOC/DOCX file.

6. And a BIG CONGRATULATIONS!! to you, for successfully completing this task. It is not at all difficult to open a doc/docx file in <LibreOffice Writer>.

7. If you have any further questions/problems, please PM me, and I'll be glad to help you, in whatever way that I possibly can. I truly hope this helps someone!! :)

8. Have an awesome day!! :) :)

Attachments

• upload_2013-12-26_2-58-49.png
    upload_2013-12-26_2-58-49.png
    45 KB · Views: 818
  • upload_2013-12-26_3-9-5.png
    upload_2013-12-26_3-9-5.png
    10 KB · Views: 531

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Isn't DOCX the new standard, or is DOC still used regularly?

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
People who have newer versions of Office tend to use docx but some people who have to trade files with people not in the same company usually go for doc because of these compatibility issues. LibreOffice has improved their compatibility with these new formats, but they're still far from perfect. If you need to open docx files with a free editor, prefer SoftMaker FreeOffice TextMaker (my personal choice now) or Kingsoft Office Free Writer. I still have LibO installed, though, because these other two options fail with some spreadsheet calculations while LibO works well with them.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.