How to Prolong Lithium Ion based Batteries

viktik

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Yes, we know. Our smartphone batteries are bad because they barely last a day.

But it's partially our fault because we've been charging them wrong this whole time.

Many of us have an ingrained notion that charging our smartphones in small bursts will cause long-term damage to their batteries, and that it's better to charge them when they're close to dead.

But we couldn't be more wrong.

If fact, a site from battery company Cadex called Battery University details how the lithium-ion batteries in our smartphones are sensitive to their own versions of "stress." And, like for humans, extended stress could be damaging your smartphone battery's long-term lifespan.

If you want to keep your smartphone battery in top condition and go about your day without worrying about battery life, you need to change a few things.

Don't keep it plugged in when it's fully charged
According to Battery University, leaving your phone plugged in when it's fully charged, like you might overnight, is bad for the battery in the long run.

Once your smartphone has reached 100% charge, it gets "trickle charges" to keep it at 100% while plugged in. It keeps the battery in a high-stress, high-tension state, which wears down the chemistry within.

Battery University goes into a bunch of scientific detail explaining why, but it also sums it nicely: "When fully charged, remove the battery" from its charging device. "This is like relaxing the muscles after strenuous exercise." You too would be pretty miserable if you worked out nonstop for hours and hours.

In fact, try not to charge it to 100%
At least when you don't have to.

According to Battery University, "Li-ion does not need to be fully charged, nor is it desirable to do so. In fact, it is better not to fully charge, because a high voltage stresses the battery" and wears it away in the long run.

That might seem counterintuitive if you're trying to keep your smartphone charged all day, but just plug it in whenever you can during the day, and you'll be fine.

Plug in your phone whenever you can
It turns out that the batteries in our smartphones are much happier if you charge them occasionally throughout the day instead of plugging them in for a big charging session when they're empty.

Charging your phone when it loses 10% of its charge would be the best-case scenario, according to Battery University. Obviously, that's not practical for most people, so just plug in your smartphone whenever you can. It's fine to plug and unplug it multiple times a day.

Not only does this keep your smartphone's battery performing optimally for longer, but it also keeps it topped up throughout the day.

Plus, periodic top-ups also let you use features you might not normally use because they hog your battery life, like location-based features that use your smartphone's GPS antenna.

Keep it cool
Smartphone batteries are so sensitive to heat that Apple itself suggests you remove certain cases that insulate heat from your iPhone when you charge it. "If you notice that your device gets hot when you charge it, take it out of its case first." If you're out in the hot sun, keep your phone covered. It'll protect your battery's health.

Simple Guidelines for Charging Lithium-based Batteries
  • Turn off the device or disconnect the load on charge to allow the current to drop unhindered during saturation. A parasitic load confuses the charger.
  • Charge at a moderate temperature. Do not charge at freezing temperature. (See BU-410: Charging at High and Low Temperatures)
  • Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better.
  • Not all chargers apply a full topping charge and the battery may not be fully charged when the “ready” signal appears; a 100 percent charge on a fuel gauge may be a lie.
  • Discontinue using charger and/or battery if the battery gets excessively warm.
  • Apply some charge to an empty battery before storing (40–50 percent SoC is ideal). (See BU-702: How to Store Batteries.)

More Reads
  1. How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
  2. Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries
  3. Charging at High and Low Temperatures
  4. Lithium-based Batteries Information

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
I keep charge of my phone at about 50%. Mostly in 40-60% range. The problem is how to re-calibrate the battery when you change it.

Reactions: XhenEd

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I keep charge of my phone at about 50%. Mostly in 40-60% range. The problem is how to re-calibrate the battery when you change it.
Solution: Don't calibrate. :D

I always follow the guidelines with my smartphone. With my laptop, however, I do not since it's very inconvenient to do.

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
Solution: Don't calibrate. :D

I always follow the guidelines with my smartphone. With my laptop, however, I do not since it's very inconvenient to do.
Well you need to calibrate the battery when you change it. The charge level counter doesn't correspond to the new battery. I read about several procedures. For instance we can this one:

How to calibrate battery in Android
Manual Method for battery calibration

· Turn on device >> Connect your device to its charger >> Let it charge 100%.

· Turn off device >> Connect to charger >> Leave it until it shows 100% or charge complete (shown my LED or onscreen indicator)

· Again, Remove from charger >> Turn on device >> Connect your device to its charger >> Leave the screen on >> Let it charge 100%.

· Leave your device until its battery drains to 0% and then recharge it to 100%. Now your battery is calibrated

I'm sorry I've lost the link to the quotation.

Reactions: LabZero and XhenEd

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Some people already know the concept of Lithium Batteries, however majority are not which highly recommend to read it.

Temperature is indeed number one factor, since it can affect throughout the lifespan of the battery; especially that hardware parts are prone on sensitive damage.

Meanwhile in Laptops, better to have battery intact especially if A/C in an area is prone on interruption.

Technology enhancement of battery for Laptops are capable from high temperature.

Reactions: XhenEd
L

LabZero

Good guide, but I believe that the quality of the battery also is very important. I have to say that I haven't followed these directions :D and, after four years, the battery of my Samsung S3 is still in good condition.

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
Good guide, but I believe that the quality of the battery also is very important. I have to say that I haven't followed these directions :D and, after four years, the battery of my Samsung S3 is still in good condition.

Four years for lithium battery?

FOUR years for LITHIUM battery?

Das ist fantastisch! :eek:

It depends what "good condition" means for you. How long can it work from 100% to 0% without charging? If at least 3 days then yes - good condition.

Reactions: LabZero and XhenEd
L

LabZero

Four years for lithium battery?

FOUR years for LITHIUM battery?

Das ist fantastisch! :eek:

It depends what "good condition" means for you. How long can it work from 100% to 0% without charging? If at least 3 days then yes - good condition.
I bought my S3 in 2012 and I assure you that I'm still using the original battery.:)
I can't tell you the duration in stand-by mode because I use the phone every day in intensive way: this means about 6/7 hours of web surfing, games, wathsapp, without need of charge.
Considering this, I really believe that it is a good battery.
Now, if we consider the current planned obsolescence, I couldn't say the same of the new batteries.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I'd say calibrate the battery once a month. I let my phone drain till 5% or sometimes 10,20 or 25%. A good method would be a soft reset(restart) before it reaches 100% which makes sure the device sensors captures real battery charge thresholds. I still have good luck with Nokia's battery that are staying strong even when its close to 5 years. Battery saver apps really helps sometimes to control those unusual battery drains when a rogue app consume our most precious battery even in background w/o we even knowing it.

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
I can't tell you the duration in stand-by mode because I use the phone every day in intensive way: this means about 6/7 hours of web surfing, games, wathsapp, without need of charge.
Considering this, I really believe that it is a good battery.

I believe it as well. You have really good battery!

Mine original battery LG Optimus L7 was draining losing about 1% per 1-5 min when Wifi was on, even without surfing. Surfing drains it in about 1 hour. :(

The same is for non-original battery I changed some months ago.

Considering sporadic calls, about 5 min per day, with Wifi off I need charging once a day to keep level in the interval 40-60%. I think it's the most optimal interval combining usability and battery life saving.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.