Guide | How To How to protect your laptop from being stolen

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Dejan

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
I wanted to show people some tricks on how to prevent your laptop from being stolen and how to track it down if it does happen. I wrote an overview guide below, though for a step-by-step tutorial even newbies will be able to follow, check this video:

Prevention: Alarm software

This is going to sound kind of silly, but it's a great method if your near your laptop, the software is called LAlarm and it can be found here. It's free to use and will sound an alarm if someone disconnects a USB device or disconnects it from a power outlet, this will only work while your screen is locked and you hear a beep, that means it's protected. You can configure how the program behaves in the settings.

Data protection: Face recognition

This is pretty fun to think about, if someone wants to take a peak into your computer, they'll need to pass face recognition, witch pretty much makes it impossible to login if your not you. The software is called Luxand Blink and can be found here. It's free (of course) and once configured will show a window at login displaying your webcam, after your face is recognised, you'll be logged in.

Tracking: Track back a stolen laptop

For this we'll be using a software called Prey, it can be found here and we'll give you options to take screenshots of the desktop and webcam, a map of where the laptop is located and several other features, it's open source and free software.

Again, this isn't really a tutorials, more of an overview of the software, the video I provided will help you step by step, I couldn't since I'm on Ubuntu currently. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by a moderator:

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
RE: Protect your laptop from being stolen

Heard about Prey. Unfortunately it is hard to recover something stolen. Prevention is the key :D

Dejan

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
RE: Protect your laptop from being stolen

bogdan said:
Heard about Prey. Unfortunately it is hard to recover something stolen. Prevention is the key :D

So true, that's what the alarm is for ;)

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
Well my choice is to use this for protecting my laptop and other personal belongings. And Prey as well.

glock27.jpg

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Best policy is an insurance policy. Everything in my condo is covered up to $20,000. For college students its different.

Dejan

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
Well, these methods aren't the best, but they won't be excepted by someone wanting to steal your laptop.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Having an alarm software is good as long you will run immediately if someone is stealing the laptop

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
I world prefer that gun as well. However, guns and knifes has been deemed "dangerous" and are therefor illegal. :)
Insurances are required by law, so i get by with that and Prey.

That alarm software could be useful in certain situations, like the cafeteria at school; might also attract some attention at the library...

Dejan

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
Dieselman said:
Alarms's are meaningless james. Just like car alarms. No one pays attention.

You will pay attention, if your near by and someone taking the laptop will probably be scared into letting it go anyway.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
See Prey tested, skip to 8:00.

Try here if video unavailable. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.