Guide | How To How to re-activate Windows 10 after a hardware change

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Hi! I browsed the forum but I did not find this feature highlighted.

It is not a recent feature , it came with AU but I discovered it yesterday and not many people know this on other forums

So I want to give you a reason to use a MS account ! :D

If you change even the MOBO, following this guide , you don' need to pay for another W10 license .

When you make significant hardware changes, such as replacing the motherboard or hard drive, Windows 10won't be able to identify your computer correctly, and as a result, the operating system won't activate.

Previously, if your installation of Windows 10 lost its activation due to a hardware change, you would have to go through the tedious process of contacting Microsoft customer support to re-activate, which is not an ideal solution.

However, Microsoft is now simplifying the process. Beginning with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, you can link your Microsoft account (MSA) with the Windows 10 digital license on your device. The new feature allows you to access the Activation Troubleshooter quickly to re-activate your free upgrade copy of Windows 10.

In this Windows 10 guide, we'll guide you through the process to link together your Microsoft Account and digital license, and the steps to use the Activation Troubleshooter to re-activate the operating system.

How to link your Microsoft account with the digital license
  1. Use the Windows key + Ikeyboard shortcut to open the Settings app.
  2. Click Update & security.
  3. Click Activation.
  4. Click Add an account. (Your account must have administrator privileges to go through this process.)
  5. Enter your Microsoft account credentials, and click Sign-in. If the local account isn't connected to a Microsoft account, you'll also need to enter the password for the local account.

windows-10-digital-license-linked.jpg

Once you completed the process, you will see the "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account" message in the Activation page, indicating that the linked was successfully processed.

If you have already used an MSA while upgrading to Windows 10, your account and digital license will connect automatically, and you'll see the same "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account" message. In which case, you can skip the previous steps, and jump to the instructions below.

How to use the troubleshooter to re-activate Windows 10
After linking your Microsoft account with the digital license, you can use the new Activation Troubleshooter to re-activate Windows 10 after making a hardware change on your computer.

1. Use the Windows key + Ikeyboard shortcut to open the Settings app.
  2. Click Update & security.
  3. Click Activation.
  4. If you see the activation status message: Windows is not activated, then you can click Troubleshoot to continue. (Your account must have administrator privileges to complete this process.)

troubleshoot-windows-10-activation.jpg

5. Click the "I changed hardware on this device recently" link.

changed-hardware-recently-windows-10.jpg

6. Enter your Microsoft account credentials, and click Sign in.

microsoft-account-sign-in.jpg

7. You'll need to enter you local account password if a Microsoft account hasn't been added to your computer. Click Next to continue.

local-passoword-windows-10.jpg

8. A list of devices associated with your Microsoft account will populate. Select the device you want to re-activate.
  9. Check the "This is the device I'm using right now" option, and click the Activate button.

recativate-win10-msa.jpg

If you want to see other devices linked to your account, you can click the "See other devices linked to your Microsoft account" link. On this page, you'll see a list of devices divided into three categories (Edition doesn't match, Device type doesn't match, and Windows isn't activated), explaining the reason why Windows 10 cannot activate from the other devices.

list-devices-microsoft-acount.jpg

Additional troubleshooting steps
In case your device doesn't appear on the list there may be some things that are happening, and we'll go through those now.

First, make sure you're signed in with the Microsoft account that you've previously linked to the Windows 10 digital license.

If you're using the correct Microsoft account, then you'll have to investigate the reason why you can't activate.

Here's a list of possible problems:

• Windows 10 was never activated on your computer.
  • Your computer isn't running a genuine version of the operating system.
  • The edition of Windows 10 doesn't match the edition of the operating system you linked to your digital license.
  • The device you're trying to activate doesn't match the type of device you've linked to your digital license.
  • There is a limit number of times you can re-activate. If you reach that limit, you won't be able to activate Windows 10.
  • The edition of the operating system installed on your computer is not Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10 Home.
  • Your computer is a managed device by your organization, in which case the re-activation tool is not available. If this is your case, you'll need to contact your system administrator.
If after using the Activation Troubleshooter, you can't activate Windows 10, then you will probably have to contact Microsoft customers support for assistance.

Wrapping things up

Since the first release of Windows 10 to the public, Microsoft has been making a lot of improvements, including to the activation process. However, there are still scenarios where you may run into activation problems, and the new tool should make things easier to help users upgrade their computer's hardware without hassle.

It's important to note that Microsoft is making available the new Activation Troubleshooter with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Users part of the Insider program can use this tool starting with the release of Windows 10 build 14371 or later.

While it can be obvious for many users, remember that you won't be able to re-activate Windows 10 after a hardware change until you add a Microsoft account to your computer. Also, the Troubleshoot option won't be available unless the operating system is not activated.

Finally, you probably already noticed, but Microsoft is also renaming the product key type for the upgrade version of Windows 10 from "digital entitlement" to "digital license."

Source : https://www.google.it/amp/amp.windo...indows-10-after-hardware-change?client=safari

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Having built a few Custom Gaming systems
I was not in the dark on how to do this.
I run with a MS acct. on all my systems.
Cool heads up for the novices though ;)

Reactions: askmark and Dirk41

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
But I have a doubt : should this work even if the w7-8 licenses where preinstalled in the PC ? ( I mean OEM licenses so)

What kind of licenses did you have? Thank you

Reactions: Andy Ful

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
But I have a doubt : should this work even if the w7-8 licenses where preinstalled in the PC ? ( I mean OEM licenses so)

What kind of licenses did you have? Thank you

All my machines had retail Win 8 Pro licenses. I upgraded them all to Win 10 Pro using an Windows 10 Insider Preview ISO I downloaded from MS which included the new MS account linking functionality and which accepted Windows 8 license keys. Each PC was then linked to a different MS account using the method posted.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
All my machines had retail Win 8 Pro licenses. I upgraded them all to Win 10 Pro using an Windows 10 Insider Preview ISO I downloaded from MS which included the new MS account linking functionality and which accepted Windows 8 license keys. Each PC was then linked to a different MS account using the method posted.
Worked from Win 7 Ultimate too ;)

Reactions: Dirk41 and askmark

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.