How to remotely remove malware?

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
My cousin has some malware on her computer, she's not very tech savvy and lives far away. Can I just connect to her computer with team viewer and just use a rescue tool?

Reactions: roger_m

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Yes she can. I do that from time to time. I usually run scans with Zemana, AdwCleaner, Malwarebytes and occasionally HitmanPro too. If they are using an expired an antivirus, I will uninstall it and install a replacement.

W

Wave

It depends on the infection, sometimes it's not always that simple... She could always join the forum and make a thread over in the Malware Removal Assistance area, where she can provide the system logs and get some custom scripts to clean her system by a malware removal expert on the forum: Malware Removal Assistance

That would be more reliable than you connecting and just running a couple scans.

Reactions: roger_m and frogboy

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I did it very frequently. Use teamviewer to connect and perform some scans
I'm 9000km away from my home :)

Reactions: roger_m and frogboy

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
It depends on the infection, sometimes it's not always that simple...
In a very heavily infected computer it may not be an option. But, I have cleaned plenty of computers that way, and it's basically the same as what I do when I am working directly on a customers computer or if one of my computers becomes infected. It's just makes things easier being able to to do it locally instead of over TeamViewer.

Reactions: Wave

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Why not? Always be practical, use any tools that can visualize the problem on a system rather engage in heavy phone conversation.

Just make sure that you have decent internet connection.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.