Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Jack submitted a new resource:

How to reset Windows 10 to factory settings without losing your files - Reset Windows 10 and keep your files

If you're having problems with Windows 10, resetting it can help. The Reset feature fixes many issues by restoring Windows 10 to its original state without losing photos, music, videos or personal files. This is the least invasive reset option.

To reset Windows 10 to factory settings without losing your files, follow the below steps:

OPTION 1:

1. Click on the "Start" button in the lower-left corner and then click on "Settings" (gear...

Read more about this resource...

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
I have used it recently because I played with too many security SWs, so I felt my PC was getting slower. It worked as expected, it kept all my files and most of my settings, I just had to re-install my 3rd party SW

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
In Option 1 it says your apps will be removed, but not your personal files... what exactly does that mean?

Will installed programs (not Win Apps) be removed?

Are personal files limited to Documents, Pictures, Videos, Downloads ... and other Win "location" folders?

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Yes, it is a clean reset of the operating system, those 3rd party applications need removed to do so.

This is correct.
Then this reset process is hardly helpful for me. I have backups of my personal files; it's the installed apps, many of which I must manually unregister, whose installation drives me mad. If I need an OS reset, I just might as well do a bare metal install. Thanks, no thanks Microsoft.

Reactions: oldschool
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.