How to safely use virtual box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MalwareBlockerYT

How do I safely test malware in virtual box? I heard something about using a nat connection, can't remember. Any tips?
Good question :)

1) You should use NAT or a custom network - don't use Bridged.
2) You should disable Shared Folders or have them as Read Only (I use them with Read Only ticked).
3) You should use 1 or 2 VPNs - 1 on the Host PC & then if you want a second on the VM as well (I use 2 - one on the Host & one on the VM - Windscribe & Betternet)
4) If you want to be extra cautious then you should use a 2nd router to the main home router.
5) You could also run VMWare or VirtualBox (the VM software) in a Sandbox - eg. Comodo Sandbox...

There you go ;)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Honestly with all the virtual machine stuff I do at Uni and at home. I just have the virtual machine setup with NAT, having my main Antivirus (Trend Micro) updated and turned on, on my host. Nothing more to it. I have never encountered anything jumping from the VM to the host in the whole time I've been using a virtual machine.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Honestly with all the virtual machine stuff I do at Uni and at home. I just have the virtual machine setup with NAT, having my main Antivirus (Trend Micro) updated and turned on, on my host. Nothing more to it. I have never encountered anything jumping from the VM to the host in the whole time I've been using a virtual machine.
You should use a VPN though since otherwise malware can find out your home IP address.

Reactions: harlan4096

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
VirtualBox NAT allows access to network resources using the host computer's IP address, so it is essential that you protect your IP by using a VPN at host or VM level.
This is important to avoid that
malware can process your real IP.

That's not as much of a problem as it is your ISP whining about it and ordering you to clean your PC even though you know the PC is fine, but they don't know that.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

I've never had a problem with any malware getting onto my host.
It's not about it getting onto the host it's about criminals getting your IP address. But it is possible if you don't use a VPN that malware can transfer over the network - trust me it can happen. It is really quite stupid to not use a VPN.

DC47561

Level 3
Verified
Feb 3, 2017
As these guys have said - VPN - Adapter in NAT mode - Limited/Standard User account - Software restriction policies on host (be careful with the software restriction policies though! - make sure that you don't prevent anything you need to run such as program files and system files such as command prompt and task manager.) - Happy testing!

orthonovum

Level 3
Verified
Jun 17, 2017
If you can, use a dedicated DSL line or something. That way you can have a air gapped sand box machine on it's own internet connection and you can afford to burn it to the ground and rebuild it often

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.