Guide | How To How to script a music player quickly in HTML5 (fixed)

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Dejan

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
I thought I'd write a small tutorial on how to script a basic HTML5 music player, I'll be writing a guide on how to script a video player soon, but for now I'm having some issues with that, so hopefully this will suffice. HTML5 will be the new standard for HTML (which came in 1999), XHTML and HTML DOM. Although a basic knowledge of HTML will definitely help, HTML5 is much easier to work with and can be learned by even complete newbie's, if you want to learn the whole language (not just what I'm about to show you), visit W3Schools or another tutorial site for help.

Let's get started, first thing you need to know is which browsers HTML5 is compatible with, currently, all known browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari) are compatible with their latest versions, IE 9 although compatible, IE 8 isn't. Now for the specifics, here's a list of the formats browser will support:

IE 9: MP3
Firefox: Ogg, Wav
Opera: Ogg, Wav
Chrome: Ogg, MP3
Safari: MP3, Wav

For this tutorial I'm going to be using ogg since it's compatible with almost all browsers, you can follow this tutorial using any format from the ones above, if you want to convert an audio file or even video file to ogg, you can use this tool. Let's use Nyan Cat audio file for this one ;) Open up a text editor such as Notepad, Wordpad or any other capable editor, I'm using gedit (ubuntu) for this, but it works the same, I recommend Notepad++ also. Now to start with the code, type in the standard HTML tags
PHP:
<html> and </html>
and also between those, type in the
PHP:
<body> </body>
tags, so it should look like this...

PHP:
<html>
<body>
</body>
</html>

Okay, now to fill in the info, to add the audio player, type in
PHP:
<audio src="song.ogg" controls="controls"> </audio>
between
PHP:
<body> and </body>

PHP:
<html>
<body>
<audio src="song.ogg" controls="controls"> 
</audio>
</body>
</html>

Replace song.ogg with the name of the audio file, make sure to include the .format, for me it'll look like this....

PHP:
<html>
<body>
<audio src="Nyan.ogg" controls="controls">
</audio>
</body>
</html>

Okay, now just save it as name.html and place it in the same directory (folder) as the audio file you want to use, now open it with your web browser (one that's compatible) and your done! But lets say you want to add some things, like a background color and a tiltle, for this add
PHP:
<style> </style>
and
PHP:
<head> </head>
between
PHP:
<html> </html>
It should look like this...

PHP:
<html>
<head>
</head> 
<style>
</style>
<body>
</audio>
</body>
</html>

And now type in body { background blue; color #FF0000 } between
PHP:
<style> </style>
Also add
PHP:
<title>My amazing song</title>
between the head tags....

PHP:
<html>
<head>
</head> 
<style>
                              body {
                              background: blue;
                              color: #FF0000
                              }
</style>
<body>
</audio>
</body>
</html>

And we're done! Now you'll have the background and title, but for extra functionality, here are some options, paste any of these after controls="controls"

autoplay="autoplay"
loop="loop" (loops the audio after being finished)
preload="preload" (does the same thing as autoplay)

And that's it! Here's an example on my own site, it took me time to write this, so say thanks if it helped you :)

Dejan

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
RE: How to script a music player quickly in HTML5

Well, I finally fixed everything, the conflict with displaying html really didn't help, sorry for all of that :)

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
RE: How to script a music player quickly in HTML5

Thanks for your post. Just a small note: No need to add *, just enclose the code between php tags.

Code:
[php]...your code here...[/php]

Result:

PHP:
<html>
<head>
</head> 
<style>
body {
background: blue;
color: #FF0000
}
</style>
<body>
</audio>
</body>
</html>

Dejan

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
Thanks a lot for that bogdan, didn't know it could be fixed that way. Anyway, I updated the post and hopefully people will understand it better now :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.