How to setup Android tablet to be secure.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I just got my 12 year old son a Android tablet and as a lot of you know i have never had a mobile phone or tablet and i would like some advice on how to set it up securely. Cheers any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Bryan Lam

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2015
You might wanna install

1. Antivirus - I recommend Bitdefender mobile security
  2. Tracking Program - Something like Prey or Lookout. I believe google has their own tracking though which should be sufficient.
  3. Filtering (Web) - A simple site block via DNS on your router should be enough

AlphaBeta

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 24, 2015
I don't think you need antivirus if you're careful on android. 99% of malware for android originate from third party websites and app stores so you should stick to play store apps. I would get an ad blocker for the browser and carefully examine the permissions I grant when installing apps.
Also, you should think of parental control software.

Reactions: frogboy

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
@frogboy
Glad to see you on Android world ;)

Well, I recommend you to install Bitdefender Free or Baidu Mobile Security or Sophos Mobile Security.

And maybe install also Adguard for Android.

Reactions: frogboy

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
rooted or un-rooted tablet? because suggestions are way too different in both.. and what are your main basic security concerns? like ads or camera or pictures just to name a few.
Un-rooted would not know how to do that anyway. o_O

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
First have Anti-Theft program which you can search bunch through Play Store.

Then have a strong password or pattern that will hardly crack for anyone. Having an Antivirus is not a bad idea however consult yourself as you should aware that downloading programs on Play Store may only have small chance to infect you unless fall on such classy trap.

TReyTyger

Level 1
Jun 28, 2016
Here are some suggestions :

Yours may differ depending upon your use and technical specs and battery. These are the ones I trust the most.

(Off Topic Suggestion) If you wish to manage your android on pc I would suggest.

WonderShare MobileGO to manage contacts and backup data etc.

NOTE : DO NOT USE ROOT OPTION IF YOU ARE NOT ADVANCED USER AND IF YOU DO NOT KNOW THE CONSEQUENCES. USE THAT APP ONLY FOR " MANAGEMENT " OF YOUR PHONE/TABLET

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@frogboy As the Android device is new, I would avoid attempting to root the device. Also I suggest you first play around with Android so you know how to use it, if something were to happen. Browse the settings. Don't jump on the "Android needs an Antivirus" bandwagon, just yet.

This guide is great and recommend to bookmark and read when you get time.
Enlist in the Android Army: A beginner’s guide to Android

Google Play Store and Apps

To find out about Restricting Apps (based on content rating) see Parental Controls and Unwanted Purchases.

Your device may come with pre-installed Google and third-party apps, these can be disabled, so you don't need to update them, if you don't want them enabled.

Storage

Android OS takes approx. 4GB. How much internal storage does your Android device hold, how much is available and is there a micro SD card slot for additional space?

Security

Google's Android Device Manager is your go-to for Anti-Theft, without needing to download or buy third-party apps. Android Device Manager is also available for download, as an app from Google Play Store. For ADM to work as intended, for example, Lock or Remotely Wipe the device, enable it under Device administrators.

Settings > Security > Device administrators > Android Device Manager [x]

To locate your device, GPS and Wi-Fi locations are used - this is standard for any Anti-Theft app.

Encryption

To use Encryption you need to set up a secure lockscreen. You can use encryption to secure data on it's internal storage, no data is lost during the process. External (micro SD) storage can also be encrypted, but data will be wiped during the process.

Request for Accessibility may break encryption.

Lockscreen

You can protect your Android device with a Pattern / PIN / Password or Fingerprint (if supported). They can be simple and easy to remember, or complex, but don't forget the combination.

RAM and Storage Cleaners

Snake oil warning: These are not intended for Android so avoid using any RAM / Memory / Storage cleaners. Claims to free GB's of space aren't accurate, as the .thumbnail folder is around 4GB in size, this is normal on Android.

Cache

The most probable use of storage, except for downloaded apps and user data are the cached files. However this can be resolved easily by clearing the cache.

Settings > Storage (takes a while to calculate) > Tap on Cache > Clear

Google Account

Your Android device is linked to your Google account and it's services. A few examples:

Android Device Manager - Locate, Wipe, Ring your device
Google Play Store - Purchases and authorised devices
Google Maps - Location History, Saved Places etc.
Google Chrome - Sync'd bookmarks, history and settings
Google App - For search and Google Now cards
Google+ - Required for Beta app testing, or being part of a community / social networking
Youtube - to subscribe and comment, also watch age-restricted videos

Additional Protection

Antivirus
In its purest form I recommend Bitdefender Free for Android. It scans apps on install/update. Don't be fooled by the extra features from other vendros, most are bloatware or contain In-App Ads.

Scareware
You may encounter fake scareware websites that trick users into thinking their device is infected and redirect to other sites or Google Play Store to boost their reputation/ratings. From experience, I have seen DU Apps (Battery Booster) and 360 Mobile Security use these tactics.

Ransomware/Adware
Removing suspicious apps from Device Administrators.
Apps downloaded from Unknown Sources (ie. Outside of Google Play Store)

These are just some things, but there's a lot more to learn. If you have any more questions or concerns as a parent, feel free to ask by tagging my username.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
@frogboy As the Android device is new, I would avoid attempting to root the device. Also I suggest you first play around with Android so you know how to use it, if something were to happen. Browse the settings. Don't jump on the "Android needs an Antivirus" bandwagon, just yet.

This guide is great and recommend to bookmark and read when you get time.
Enlist in the Android Army: A beginner’s guide to Android

Google Play Store and Apps

To find out about Restricting Apps (based on content rating) see Parental Controls and Unwanted Purchases.

Your device may come with pre-installed Google and third-party apps, these can be disabled, so you don't need to update them, if you don't want them enabled.

Storage

Android OS takes approx. 4GB. How much internal storage does your Android device hold, how much is available and is there a micro SD card slot for additional space?

Security

Google's Android Device Manager is your go-to for Anti-Theft, without needing to download or buy third-party apps. Android Device Manager is also available for download, as an app from Google Play Store. For ADM to work as intended, for example, Lock or Remotely Wipe the device, enable it under Device administrators.

Settings > Security > Device administrators > Android Device Manager [x]

To locate your device, GPS and Wi-Fi locations are used - this is standard for any Anti-Theft app.

Encryption

To use Encryption you need to set up a secure lockscreen. You can use encryption to secure data on it's internal storage, no data is lost during the process. External (micro SD) storage can also be encrypted, but data will be wiped during the process.

Request for Accessibility may break encryption.

Lockscreen

You can protect your Android device with a Pattern / PIN / Password or Fingerprint (if supported). They can be simple and easy to remember, or complex, but don't forget the combination.

RAM and Storage Cleaners

Snake oil warning: These are not intended for Android so avoid using any RAM / Memory / Storage cleaners. Claims to free GB's of space aren't accurate, as the .thumbnail folder is around 4GB in size, this is normal on Android.

Cache

The most probable use of storage, except for downloaded apps and user data are the cached files. However this can be resolved easily by clearing the cache.

Settings > Storage (takes a while to calculate) > Tap on Cache > Clear

Google Account

Your Android device is linked to your Google account and it's services. A few examples:

Android Device Manager - Locate, Wipe, Ring your device
Google Play Store - Purchases and authorised devices
Google Maps - Location History, Saved Places etc.
Google Chrome - Sync'd bookmarks, history and settings
Google App - For search and Google Now cards
Google+ - Required for Beta app testing, or being part of a community / social networking
Youtube - to subscribe and comment, also watch age-restricted videos

Additional Protection

Antivirus
In its purest form I recommend Bitdefender Free for Android. It scans apps on install/update. Don't be fooled by the extra features from other vendros, most are bloatware or contain In-App Ads.

Scareware
You may encounter fake scareware websites that trick users into thinking their device is infected and redirect to other sites or Google Play Store to boost their reputation/ratings. From experience, I have seen DU Apps (Battery Booster) and 360 Mobile Security use these tactics.

Ransomware/Adware
Removing suspicious apps from Device Administrators.
Apps downloaded from Unknown Sources (ie. Outside of Google Play Store)

These are just some things, but there's a lot more to learn. If you have any more questions or concerns as a parent, feel free to ask by tagging my username.
Thanks very much after all this is my boy we are talking about here. ;)

Reactions: JM Safe

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.