Guide | How To How to Speed Up a Slow Computer

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
B

Brian

Thread author
Hi guys,

I wrote a new guide: http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/slow-computer/

There are many reasons why a computer may be running slow. Sometimes it may be related to software or hardware, while other times it may be due to malware. Whatever the reason, you should find the solution here. This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to speed up a slow computer.

I would appreciate any feedback. :)

Brian

eXPerience

Level 1
Mar 7, 2011
Hi Brian,

just some minor things.

First, i would change the order of 'Remove Temporary Files' and 'Uninstall Unnecessary Programs'. Because after uninstalling, most programs leave temporary/unnecessary files, resulting in going back to step 1

'Use Only One Antivirus Program', make that part of 'Uninstall Unnecessary Programs' as it belongs in that category.

'Fix Hard Drive Errors' --> mostly asks to reboot, give people a warning because some might lose their work because of 'happy-clicking' and thus restarting without saving.

New category suggestion : Defragment ! you can suggest using the default windows defragmenter or refer to freeware software (some are here

optional category : registry cleanup, freeware programs available here

Conclusion

If the computer is still running slow after following all of the above steps, then you may want to consider buying a new one. If you like this guide, please share it or leave a comment.
perhaps a little drastic ? reformatting solves a lot of problems
which, now that it reminds me, could be the last step if everything else fails

best regards,
eXp

ps : make a notice that people need to backup their files first, even though the steps are 99% safe, we're still working on a computer, and you know ... :rolleyes:

B

Brian

Thread author
eXPerience said:
First, i would change the order of 'Remove Temporary Files' and 'Uninstall Unnecessary Programs'. Because after uninstalling, most programs leave temporary/unnecessary files, resulting in going back to step 1

Hi exp,

I changed the order. That was an excellent suggestion!

New category suggestion : Defragment !

In both Windows Vista and 7, Disk Degrag is set to automatically defrag your hard drive by default.

I appreciate your feedback.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
@Brian: I believe windows XP does not have automatic defrag by default. That is why it is a good idea to add this step. Don't forget to warn not to defragment an SSD!

I don't know if you can mention removing useless startup programs, but this maybe tough for beginners to follow the guide.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.