Status
Not open for further replies.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
I friends, I wanted a simple Android phone, and it was supposed to fit my budget, so I purchased a preowned Moto G first gen mobile from a genuine user. Now I wanted to know what steps should I take before I start formatting and using it?

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
First, encrypt the device including expandable storage, then factory reset.

Take a read here, Android's factory reset has a security problem. Here's how to fix it

Also check Device Administration and uncheck anything related to Anti-Theft, including Android Device Manager.

Remember you are the new owner now.
Thanks. In this the device has a inbuilt storage of 16 GB and no external SD. So how do we encrypt it?
Edit: Well the encryption steps are given in the link that u have posted. Sorry I didn't see it first.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Well the Phone is signed up by the previous user, and I don't want any of his data, so what to do about that if I encrypt?

Morvotron

Level 7
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
Moto G has a great variety of open source development. Anytime i buy pre-owned phones i flash the stock OS from scramble to avoid any problems. Reciently i had a phone i had to fix with an annoying malware that'd show lots of ads and install malicious apps.Factory reset wouldn't erase it, and flashing the OS did.

I'm not saying flashing does perm delete everything because i seriously don't know if it does. But it does its job really good, and if there's something hidden, it'll get rid of it.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
resetting it to factory will remove all the previous owners data, contact Motorola and have the phone re-registered in your name, they may want the purchase info reguarding where and when you bought it.
If it's not blacklisted (reported lost or stolen) they should allow the owner registration to be updated.
PeAcE

Reactions: Purshu_Pro

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Well the Phone is signed up by the previous user, and I don't want any of his data, so what to do about that if I encrypt?
Encrypt, then Factory Reset.

What data are you referring to, Mobile Data or Phone Data?

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
@Huracan I have done the reset and its working fine with my gmail account.

@Morvotron do u have a guide on flashing the phone? And what preliminaries I have to consider before flashing? Can I flash to the latest version of Android?

Morvotron

Level 7
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
@Huracan I have done the reset and its working fine with my gmail account.

@Morvotron do u have a guide on flashing the phone? And what preliminaries I have to consider before flashing? Can I flash to the latest version of Android?
I'm not actually aware if i'm able to redirect to external links about this stuff. It's easy as searching for your exact model's lastest version stock ROM, turning the phone into download mode and connecting it to the PC, so you can flash the file with the required software. I can also send you a PM with the links, but once again, i do not know if i'm allowed to.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
There are some very helpful folks over at XDA developers that would be glad to help you Purshu_Pro.
just google "XDA developers", i dont know if linking to them violates any rules so i wont post a link. :)

PeAcE

Reactions: Purshu_Pro
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.