How to test antivirus?

neapo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 29, 2014
Yes but i just would like to know if there's a guideline with software to use and correctly test and quantify how many virus were detected or not.

dowN1

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 11, 2014
I know you can easily test you firewall with Comodo leak test, but to test an AV like that..as far as I know, there is nothing similar to it..
You can always check detection rates for the most AV's in Malware Hub.
Sadly, 99% of the members won't run undetected files on their PC's so if you want to go more further..virtual machine is the best way.
Install software like comodo kill switch or process hacker, run the remaining (undetected) files and do a post-scan with malwarebytes/hitmanpro/emsisoft emergency kit. That's how I do it.

M

MalwareT

++++AV testing procedure++++

1)Always download latest version from publishers site;
2)Always use fresh malware links from today,you can find some of those here;
3)Malware pack must be at least 1 day old to maximum 3;
4)Always use virtualization software like VirtualBox or VMware, but i recommend VBox;
5)Make sure that your AV is 100% up to date, do update after installation;
6)Do NOT change any of settings;
7)If you're trying to make video review always show users that AV has latest updates;
8)Don't disable realtime protection while extracting files from archive because AV is getting higher detection;
9)If anything lefts in folder (pack), execute those samples;
10)Use task managers like Process Hacker or Process Explorer or Comodo Killswitch;
11)For scanners use HitmanPro or Emsisoft Emergency Kit;
12)You can see how i'm doing an review in my videos by clicking here.

Hope that helps.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You may conduct your own formula calculation base on the samples gathered from url links or malware packs. Remember its a grain of salt to determine due to limited samples that considered working and not dead.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Testing an AV isn't all about how much malware can be prevented, there are other more important factors.

First, check if your Antivirus is compatible with your OS, then monitor it's stability and performance (over a period of time) to see it's not hogging the CPU/Network. Also visit other sites' reviews about it's features and whether it's any use to you, you may wish to custom/modify the installation accordingly.

Remember, AV Testing videos on Youtube shouldn't be taken seriously. Most cases, you don't know the other important factors when the tests taken place etc.

Based on my opinion.

Edit: Please see, http://malwaretips.com/threads/protecting-host-machine-from-malware-escaping-a-vm.5730/

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
It's like talking about cloud based AV's like Panda. Do they deserve all the credit of their high amount of detection rates? I don't think so, just because you compare som hash to the cloud doesn't mean it's actually that good as an overall AV. That's why is actually impossible to measure how good an AV is, or to be accurate about it. The final rule is as simple as the AV that better suit your needs is in the end the best AV for you. Even when the numbers may not say the same.

Reactions: HankTheCowDog

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
I would also suggest network and file system/registry monitoring tools and to make a backup of your Pc/laptop.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
I would also suggest network and file system/registry monitoring tools and to make a backup of your Pc/laptop.

Can you recommend some of this tools (network and file system/registry monitoring tools)?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Don't we use Virtual Machines anymore?

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
I would also suggest (paranoia/hardened mode) to use a pc/laptop and a router only to test AV vs Malware (to use one router is my idea, again to be in paranoia/hardened/"safer" mode). This because there are malware that might escape from VM (e.g. because they are "advanced", because of bugs in VMs or because of wrong settings or user fault...), that might infect BIOS, device's firmware (e.g USB devices..)....most very very difficult to detect, even more difficult to delete...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.