[How To] Use Sandboxie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hartismere

Aug 10, 2012
"Sandboxie is very useful to check whether or not a program is infected."

With no criticism whatsoever, How?

I began using Sandboxie because I wanted to use a very good program that was a trojan. I don't know who or what infected it, but the surface program was very good- nothing else available was as good.

I discovered the Trojan aspect only after I initially installed the dodgy program, experienced the problems, and had to reinstall Windows. I run the dodgy program within Sandboxie, and have no problems, so, how could I have known the program was dodgy without suffering the problems?

Sandboxie is great for known problem progs, but if something runs without problems in Sandboxie, how do we know it's safe to run normally? Genuine question.

D

Deleted member 178

when you install something into Sandboxie, every files, registry keys, etc...of the tested program can be shown in the control box of Sandboxie so you can determine if the program have suspicious files.

also you have a tool for sandboxie called Buster Sandbox that analyze softwares installed in Sandboxie and tell you if it is malicious.

Hartismere

Aug 10, 2012
Umbra Corp. Didn't know that, will delve deeper into Sandboxie. Cheers. Any clues as to what might make me think a program is dodgy by examining entries and files?

Bo. The snag with searching online is that for every safe review there is an unsafe review for almost every file\program I've ever sought information for. Further, the program I mentioned wanting to use despite infection, was available in several versions, some were infected, and some not. Then, there are copycat sites. I downloaded VLC player for a reinstall, known to be a perfectly fine program, but I unknowingly was downloading from a copycat site, and got a few things I didn't want.
Cheers for Virus Total and Jotties.
I know that the User is responsible not Sandboxie. Why did you feel it necessary to add that?

D

Deleted member 178

If you want to be sure about the legitimacy of any installer you download, you can check their hash (with a tool called Hashtab) and compare it by the one given in the official website.

i have made a "forum tip" about it but i dont know how to recover it.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Does anyone know if you can backup sb's settings/custom sandboxes?

Hartismere

Aug 10, 2012
Hey, Bo,

You said, "When you download installers from copycat places, you are doing it wrong. Getting your installers from places like that is a sure way of getting infected. To be safe, you should always get installers from the developers site or places like File Hippo or Major Geeks. I mean, sites like the ones I mentioned are well know, you cant go wrong. In my opinion, If I download a installer from a copycat site and get infected, it is my fault and responsibility. "
--------------------------
Heyho,

Sorry, mate, but you're back with the criticism again. See, I didn't know it was a copycat site. How could I? They are just so good at it. Had I known it was a copycat site, do you think I would have continued?
I'm sure you mean well, but please drop the criticisms in your posts; just supply solutions - such are always better received. We generally know what is and is not our fault, for we are adults, and we don't need it pointlessly pointing out. We come to these places seeking answers not wrist slaps.
Thanks for the replies, sincerely. Places such as these would be bleak indeed without responses, and all are ultimately appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.