Troubleshoot How to use SUA for security?

D

Deleted member 65228

Standard User Account (SUA) cannot run programs as administrator without signing into an administrator account from within the prompt, which means the process of running a program as administrator is lengthier (more time to think before you do!).

If you stick to a SUA and make good choices you'll be good to go. Remember that malware doesn't always require elevation, bad things can be done with standard rights too. Therefore, it isn't an excuse to be click happy!

SUA pretty much is about a user account with less rights -> can do less than an admin account.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 65228

But if you have UAC turned to max, shouldn't it ask you anyway when you try to do something that requires admin privileges while you're using an admin account? In this case does it really matter if you're using SUA or admin, cuz it asks you in both?
Yes but it is harder to bypass on SUA IMO. SUA is a lot more restricted than admin account basically, that is all there is to it IMO.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 65228

In what ways is it more restricted?
It limits access to administrator rights for programs being ran... Unless you're constantly uninstalling/re-installing software or require to do things that require elevation a lot, it is best to just use SUA.

Found these on Google, should help you with more infos:
User Accounts: Standard User Versus Administrator User | MCITP 70-623 Exam Cram: Windows Vista Post-Installation Tasks | Pearson IT Certification
Windows Basics: Understanding User Accounts - Full Page
Standard user vs admin

I skim read them so I know they're related, should be okay.

Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
By default SUA allows more than admin account with max UAC actually. You need to set it up first to be more restrictive, like to deny elevations requests.

Code:
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v "ConsentPromptBehaviorUser" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

Upvote 0

Hello, I wanted to know if someone with knowledge can help me to configure SUA. Thank you very much. Greetings.

Do you even know how to create a .reg or .bat file ?

Microsoft creates different account types, but like virtually everything Windows related, there is no decent documentation. You have to spend a lot of online time tracking down infos and figuring it out for yourself.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hello, I wanted to know if someone with knowledge can help me to configure SUA. Thank you very much. Greetings.
Most people who use it, either create a new SUA account, or change an existing account to SUA, without doing any configuration at all. If you want more than that, you will probably have to do like @Lockdown said.

Upvote 0

Emanuel.

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 28, 2016
Do you even know how to create a .reg or .bat file ?

Microsoft creates different account types, but like virtually everything Windows related, there is no decent documentation. You have to spend a lot of online time tracking down infos and figuring it out for yourself.
Yes they are created, but I do not know the content. Thank you very much. Greetings.

Reactions: Weebarra
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.