Guide | How To How to use WOT and Webutation in IE10 Metro

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
In Windows 8's IE10 Metro, you can't install addons. Some of WOT and Webutation users have missed it if they use the Metro version of IE10. So here I'll show you how to use WOT and Webutation in IE10 Metro (The method of checking a website's WOT rating take more time).

Now let's start!

We will use a search engine that uses WOT to check the rating of its search results. Here I will be using qrobe.it as an example.

Note:
a) We will have to use the normal version of IE10 in these steps.
b) Not all pictures are up to date. I currently don't have Windows 8 installed on any machine.
c) WOT/Webutation will not warn you if you visited a website with a poor reputation, you will have to check the rating yourself.
d) Unfortunately, I am unable to find a Search Engine which uses Webutation to rate the search results, so we are going to use a Search Engine which uses WOT to rate the search results. If you know a Search Engine that uses Webutation for its ratings, please tell me about it.

Step 1: Open http://qrobe.it and you'll find a link at the upper right of the page to add qrobe.it to your search providers. Make sure that you've checked the box to set it as your default one.

Lf6jbcZ.jpg

Step 2: The files in the link below displays the reputation of a currently opened website. Open the link below and download what you want:
http://sdrv.ms/19OVqMT

Step 3: Right Click on the downloaded file and click on Extract All...

lBMFoeO.jpg

Step 4: Extract it to your Favorites folder present in the user folder.

tnx202T.jpg

Now we're done with the installation! Now I will show you how to check a website's WOT Rating.

Checking a WOT rating of a search result:

You can search from the address bar, which uses qrobe.it as its default search engine after the modifications we've done. You will find a small WOT icon next to the title of the search result. Hovering over it will give you its WOT rating.

xm8svjS.jpg

Checking a WOT/Webutation rating of a website:

To check the rating of a website, just type Check Reputationin the address bar. You will find two results, choose your preferred service and then click on the back button at the top left of the screen. You will find the rating of the website present at the top left of the screen if you have chosen WOT or you will be redirected to a new website if you have chosen Webutation. I am using http://malwaretips.com as an example.

Checking Rating:

sjEnZsG.jpg

Preview of the result:

1TjdG3b.jpg

Checking WOT/Webutation rating of a website before opening it:

Unfortunately, the only method to do this is to go to WOT's Website or Webutation's Website. You may also prefer adding those sites to bookmarks using the Desktop IE and with your desired name. Anyway to check the rating, just type the URL in the box and then press enter.
vz3moiP.jpg

Hope this helps you. :)

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
RE: How to use WOT in IE10 Metro

Good guide I didn't know this could be done, If I was a WOT user I'd be doing this for sure. :)

V

Vextor

Nice guide, but I've grown away from WOT, it's ratings are no longer trustable. However, your method is good.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011

bbbbweb said:
Nice guide, but I've grown away from WOT, it's ratings are no longer trustable. However, your method is good.

- These ratings should be taken into consideration, it is always a good indication, I think.

This same as qrobe.it is Privatelee search engine. Look at DuckDuckGo settings too ..;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Beside on the user ratings, some third party sites could give accurate information ratings about the site. Thus it helps to determine the site itself. Users who provide ratings can be knowledgeable.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Great to see that there is WOT for Windows 8. With all the good reporsts about Windows 8, I might need to give it another go. :p

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Image links are all broken?

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011

Updated broken pictures and added "how to check the rating of a website before opening it"

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Update: Added how to check the reputation of a currently opened website and how to check the reputation of a website before opening it using Webutation. But I still can't find a search engine that uses Webutation, so we can't check the reputation of a website from the seach engine results.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.