How unique and trackable your browser is ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
Many of MalwareTips member know about it,but users they don't know just try it.Even i shock because i am always thinking of privacy when during net surfing & i am thinking that it is difficult to someone to find out my unique identity when i switch to private browsing on firefox but this test really shock me. I read about it on
http://lifehacker.com/5458513/panopticlick-shows-how-easy-your-browser-is-to-track
My test result:
Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 2,468,229 tested so far.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys at least 21.24 bits of identifying information.
Test Yours:
http://panopticlick.eff.org/

Attachments

• browser.png
    browser.png
    170.5 KB · Views: 608

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I got the same results as you. Does this even work, or set to scare us?

Chrome 22 with AdBlock.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
Actually today i m using it first time after reading it on makeofus,lifehacker.But as you say you got the same so somthing is wrong.Thanx for reply:)

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
MalwareVirus said:
MrXidus said:
I'm ok with this. Thanks.
You got 19 while i got 22 so you care your privacy more than me:D

Without my extensions such as ABP, Ghostery, Chrome UserAgent Switcher and my personal settings in Chrome. My result is as below.

Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 2,468,321 tested so far.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys at least 21.24 bits of identifying information.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
MrXidus said:
Without my extensions such as ABP, Ghostery, Chrome UserAgent Switcher and my personal settings in Chrome. My result is as below.
Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 2,468,321 tested so far.
Yup i am agree i have too user agent switcher,abp,ghostery but one thing i m using firefox syn too may thats why i got 22:)

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 2,468,358 tested so far.

Is that good??Well at least I'm unique.... /;)

Attachments

• tracker.png
    tracker.png
    216.8 KB · Views: 476

DiabloBlack

Nov 5, 2011
User Agent and HTTP_ACCEPT Headers, I can live with that.

one in 14,697 browsers have the same finger print as yours

13.84 bits of identifying information

capture10222012223144.png

Morro

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Okay i tried it to, just for the fun of seeing what i would get. :D

Panopticlick.jpg

treefrog'

Oct 28, 2012
do these scores matter ?
if your unique a site can recognize/track you regardless of VPN if they so desire, however an individuals "fingerprint" changes with each browser modification ie, add ons added/removed, time stamp, fonts etc
I have found that NoScript and Firegloves help give a generic fingerprint

this with firegloves add on enabled....

Within our dataset of several million visitors, only one in 13,346 browsers have the same fingerprint as yours.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys 13.7 bits of identifying information

and with firegloves disabled...

Within our dataset of several million visitors, only one in 177,313 browsers have the same fingerprint as yours.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys 17.44 bits of identifying information.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/firegloves/

;)

I

illumination

Panopticlick

When was the last time, you tested your browser to see how "Unique" your browser finger print really is?

PANOPTICLICK

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
RE: Panopticlick

If I use 'Search' feature:

How unique and trackable your browser is ? : http://malwaretips.com/Thread-How-unique-and-trackable-your-browser-is

I

illumination

RE: Panopticlick

Prorootect said:
If I use 'Search' feature:

How unique and trackable your browser is ? : http://malwaretips.com/Thread-How-unique-and-trackable-your-browser-is

Happens... Most member's that have been around for awhile already know of this, but some of the newer ones may not, so the post was intended for them...

"Moderators feel free to merge this thread with the other".

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.