Cybercrime How worried should we be about deadly cyber-attacks?

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Recently I worked at a 21 bed health care unit for some years, they were and more now strapped for cash, they had a ransomware issue - Half the problem is for far to long IT protection has been the last thing cash has been spent on, always seen as something you don't see - Even after half the unit was in major difficulty due to ransomware this the IT system is still cobbled together with few UPS systems so when they do power outage tests for example often many PC's just go off & recent data lost, actually hard to believe.

Backups not done in any order if at all - Up until the point I left they continued to spend money on anything but IT & I assume may have major issues in the future - If anyone needs to see the look of stress on a face it's the IT guy at this unit - Decent UPS systems, & system protection are low on the list in healthcare I've been to.

Edit: This was a part charity part NHS funded unit.

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Recently I worked at a 21 bed health care unit for some years, they were and more now strapped for cash, they had a ransomware issue - Half the problem is for far to long IT protection has been the last thing cash has been spent on, always seen as something you don't see - Even after half the unit was in major difficulty due to ransomware this the IT system is still cobbled together with few UPS systems so when they do power outage tests for example often many PC's just go off & recent data lost, actually hard to believe.

Backups not done in any order if at all - Up until the point I left they continued to spend money on anything but IT & I assume may have major issues in the future - If anyone needs to see the look of stress on a face it's the IT guy at this unit - Decent UPS systems, & system protection are low on the list in healthcare I've been to.

Edit: This was a part charity part NHS funded unit.
I used to work in a urology department and saw this too. Budget stretched to Hell and back, and everything hit rock bottom for our department when WannaCry hit.
Most NHS trusts simply don't have the budget to invest in protection against cyber-attacks, and even if they do it's never given priority over the countless other areas that needed shoring up monetarily.
I imagine it's the same in other countries too; either budget constraints or a nonchalance towards the cybersecurity by higher-ups.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.