Advice Request How would you rate Grammarly for non-native English Language writers/speakers?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
you are right about the capital letter at the beginning of every sentence. but in informal writing, like on a forum, it is forgivable. When you give in your doctoral thesis, make sure to capitalize
Personal opinion, but I would like to think using Capitalisation on a forum should be a standard.

If you cannot be bothered to use proper spelling and grammar here, why should we take your advice? Especially how you can consider a forum an Informal place. ;)

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Oh, apologies. But they sound the same ;)
Yeah, a good extension to check in near-realtime when writing in browser.
No need to apologize, I'm not offended. And yes, they sound the same. :D

I'm installing extension again. :)
Do you know if there are any alternatives for Grammarly? I sometimes use Ispravi.me (domain means correct.me on English), it's Croatian spell checker but it can correct English spell mistakes as well. :)

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
No need to apologize, I'm not offended. And yes, they sound the same. :D

I'm installing extension again. :)
Do you know if there are any alternatives for Grammarly? I sometimes use Ispravi.me (domain means correct.me on English), it's Croatian spell checker but it can correct English spell mistakes as well. :)
Here you go - Ginger. This is a Windows and Android application that has a similar functionality. Moreover it has features like rephrasing, translator etc.
But not all features are available in free. And its grammatical analysis is not as good as grammarly (most of the times).
Give it a try.
In terms of online tools/extensions, I don't know any more of them, haven't tried any other except for these two. The rest (if any good ones) are a google search away for both of us :)

Reactions: Marko :)

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Here you go - Ginger. This is a Windows and Android application that has a similar functionality. Moreover it has features like rephrasing, translator etc.
But not all features are available in free. And its grammatical analysis is not as good as grammarly (most of the times).
Give it a try.
In terms of online tools/extensions, I don't know any more of them, haven't tried any other except for these two. The rest (if any good ones) are a google search away for both of us :)
Thanks. I was searching and didn't found anything useful. :D

Reactions: Parsh

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Personal opinion, but I would like to think using Capitalisation on a forum should be a standard.

If you cannot be bothered to use proper spelling and grammar here, why should we take your advice? Especially how you can consider a forum an Informal place. ;)
Hey, sorry, I didn't mean to diss the forum or anything.
Capitalization it will be, even though for me, it feels like wearing a necktie. I do try to spell correctly, though...

About the bigger issue of forums and informality: I must admit that I am now feeling kind of confused. I see people bantering back and forth on MT all the time, talking like friends. In American circles, at least, it is accepted between friends not to speak quite as correctly as the English teacher would want, and this is not considered a sign of disrespect, rather a sign of friendliness. Maybe it is different in Europe?

As for people taking my advice, well, maybe they shouldn't.
I mean, my ideas should be weighed on their own merits, independent of my writing skills or lack thereof.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Language comes across different when in written form.

Can you guess the examples below:
  1. THIS IS SHOUTING!
  2. Norton Is The Best Antivirus In The World
  3. zemana is super light avira is super light but comodo firewall let a malware pass and now it infect my windows 10 spyware computer
Nothing to be offended by. ;)

Reactions: Marko :) and shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Language comes across different when in written form.

Can you guess the examples below:
  1. THIS IS SHOUTING!
  2. Norton Is The Best Antivirus In The World
  3. zemana is super light avira is super light but comodo firewall let a malware pass and now it infect my windows 10 spyware computer
Nothing to be offended by. ;)
I see your point. Capitalization, in such a context, is more than a pedantic technicality. It sets the tone of the message. Interesting point! I never thought of that...

Reactions: Marko :)
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.