Status
Not open for further replies.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Facebook might be working on a social phone after all despite its denial on the matter. A reliable source told Pocket-Lint that HTC is working on an OEM product for Facebook and it’s codenamed Opera UL.

The device seems real since it appeared in the NenaMark2 results database. From there we learn the phone is powered by a 1.4GHz (probably dual-core) Krait processor with Adreno 305 graphics and has an HD display. It's currently running on Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean.

Read More: http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_opera_ul_might_be_the_official_facebook_phone-news-5039.php

Hope this phone fails. :D Because there are going to be privacy issues everywhere. But I also hope it does not fail because HTC has been making a lot of losses, this will help it get back on the track if it became popular.

I guess this phone's OS will have very deep integration with Facebook's app. If not, then it is useless.
Sony Xperias are having a very good Facebook integration, as on my sister's SE Live with Walkman, but I disabled it before she even knew about it. :D

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I fail to understand the need for a Facebook phone.....Can't any smartphone do the simple task to connect a user to Facebook? - https://play.google.com/store/search?q=facebook&c=apps
I'm really :confused: ......

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Jack even dumbphones do. The only thing is black white nokias coming with facebook.
Opera ASA has not claimed copyrights?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I've seen phones with those FB buttons before (or something similar). I think it's more of Brand-Awareness campaign.

Facebook is going down.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I don't understand the need for Facebook period :p but that's just me

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Jack said:
I fail to understand the need for a Facebook phone.....Can't any smartphone do the simple task to connect a user to Facebook? - https://play.google.com/store/search?q=facebook&c=apps
I'm really :confused: ......

According to what I remember, some phones that have good integration with Facebook can have your Facebook pictures in the Gallery app and you can like and comment from there.

I myself prefer opening Facebook not even from the app, but from the Web Browser. Many Facebook app users are not aware that Location sharing is enabled by default on the app, it can be disabled anyway, but I don't trust them. I guess how aggressive is their monitoring for the users' activity on their phone. The privacy on that phone is going to be horrible in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.