Huawei immediately loses access to Google and Android updates!

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Interesting article. I think if anything, this fight is raising awareness that the current 5G standard is not secure enough.

It was actually Australia who warned the US and then the US convinced other parties to join in to exclude Huawei to protect the backbone of the future of the Internet.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
It actually does have to do with security --. and not just the spying variety. The Huawei code is pretty terrible in multiple ways. If you look around, you can find info on this.

And economists have already issued opinions to the administration that the action has a greater chance of increasing competition rather than stifling it.

And part of it is the problem of a blowhard president who likes the bravado of trade wars as opposed to negotiation and facilitation.
Terrible is one thing. Providing backdoors is another. Do you believe that fighter jets sold by the US do send back flight and telemetry data to the US?

Exactly.

China can ban anything at will and they do, including Google's Youtube. Arbitrary arrests (happened to 2 Canadians recently). This is a Communist regime. Tienanmen Square massacre.

Any country that can massacre it's own citizens at will and relatively recently, be cautious.
Actually, the HW CFO has nothing to do with Canada. It's on the request from the US that the Canadian gov did so to arrest her. Isn't that arbitrary arrest? I can tell you those 2 arrested Canadians in China can forget about going home now.

Correct my history of the US if I'm wrong. Were the old days US belong to the white men or the native Indians? What happened and where were they now? Why were there black slaves then? Why were there Vietnam war, N and S Korea war and the wars in the Middle East involving the US?

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
I'm a long time Huawei user and love it.
Not sure what the future brings but maybe it's time to buy an Xperia :)
Iphone is ugly and overpriced. Not worth it!

Reactions: Divine_Barakah

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
i have an iPhone at the moment, when it expires I'm more inclined to buy an Huawei than ever. Googles position does offer up ramifications for other countries, if US (Trump) gets annoyed if you do not obey: You too may be cut off: I have a SONY Android TV, I will not buy another. Apart from TV Google is pretty much blocked on all devices using the very helpful guide here on uBlock recently - For me Google = Devil Incarnate :):):):)

UK ARM not can't sell tech to Huawei, we really need things like that in the UK at the moment, but we do of course have a (one way) 'Special Relationship' with Stateside?

Mr Putin God bless his cotton socks often thinks much like our friends over the pond?

Attachments

• putin-gas.jpg
    putin-gas.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
Reactions: Divine_Barakah

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
I'm a long time Huawei user and love it.
Not sure what the future brings but maybe it's time to buy an Xperia :)
Iphone is ugly and overpriced. Not worth it!
As someone who's used Xperia's for several years and the iPhone I have is my first ever Apple product, bar an iPod Touch when I was much younger, let me tell you my experience.

The Xperia's I've owned have had a few flaws, my M4 Aqua had 8GB of internal storage and couldn't even update apps... and I really didn't have many. And more recently the Xperia XA1 I had which was very new had one very big issue... The screen was curved, but the curved sides of the screen simply did not work. Entire sections of my keyboard didn't work and I couldn't use letters like P and Q or numbers like 1 and 9 at all. All over the internet basically everybody had this issue, Sony still sells the phone and their support told me to spend about 150 on a screen replacement.

Now these are two very specific examples of Xperia phones with problems, but they both had the same software problem. They. Didn't. Get. Updates.
Most people here wouldn't use an outdated OS, but Android phones (even Google ones) get AT MOST 3 years of security updates and 2 years of software updates. Xperia's you will get a security patch maybe once every 6 months for a year or two, then it's gone.

Now I get the whole iPhones being overpriced point, that was a point I used to make, but here's the thing: Pay 700 for a Samsung, it loses half of its value after the first year and it gets updates for around two. Pay 700 for an iPhone, it loses about 80 value (the iPhone X lost 80 after the first year) and gets updates for FIVE years. Paying 400 for an older iPhone could still get another year of updates compared to a 700 Android phone right now. The iPhone 5S from 2013 is still updated and valued at around 150... that's just unbelievable.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Correct my history of the US if I'm wrong. Were the old days US belong to the white men or the native Indians? What happened and where were they now? Why were there black slaves then? Why were there Vietnam war, N and S Korea war and the wars in the Middle East involving the US?

Even though it's sort of a waste of time.... your anti-US sentiment won't be changed.. I will correct your perceptions.

Yes, the US did terrible things to the Native Americans. And we are one of the few countries on the planet that discusses that endlessly acknowledging the wrongness of what was done. Funny thing though, analogous things were done in the majority of countries in the world -- and they are never discussed. Just buried.

Yep, the US participated in the slave trade. Look up all the countries that did. Look up the countries that currently do. Again, we talk about it more, but the vast majority of the planet had slave labor at that time.

WWII -- the US saved the world and took nothing for it.

Vietnam war was started by the French, who were trying to get control of their former colony. We fought for democracy for the people rather than a dictatorship. Our intent was good. The application... not so much.

The Korean war was started by North Korea invading South Korea. We again fought for peoples freedoms... which without us, South Korea would not exist. And we took nothing for it.

Iraq war (Gulf War I) was started by Iraq invading Kuwait. We helped liberate a people wrongly invaded.... and again, we took nothing for it.

Iraq war II was a terrible mistake. Bad politicians did bad things.

How much territory has the US taken from anybody in the last 100 years?

Compared to....

Russia -- Georgia, part of Ukraine, and many other countries feel threatened

China -- There are border and island disputes all the way around China... China always wants more. Look it up. Disputes everywhere...

Nobody feels threatened that we might take their territory. And many countries in the world count on us to ensure their integrity.

All this is not to say that we don't make mistakes... and lots of them. And I certainly don't support the current regime running the government. But your anti-US bias is incorrect and in some ways absurd.

Berny

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2016
Plan B with Huawei OS for the local Chinese market could be rolled out in 2019 Q4.

Reactions: CyberTech

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
“You look at what they’ve done from a security standpoint, from a military standpoint, it’s very dangerous,” “If we made a deal, I could imagine Huawei being possibly included in some form or some part of it.”
:oops:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Even though it's sort of a waste of time.... your anti-US sentiment won't be changed.. I will correct your perceptions.

Yes, the US did terrible things to the Native Americans. And we are one of the few countries on the planet that discusses that endlessly acknowledging the wrongness of what was done. Funny thing though, analogous things were done in the majority of countries in the world -- and they are never discussed. Just buried.

Yep, the US participated in the slave trade. Look up all the countries that did. Look up the countries that currently do. Again, we talk about it more, but the vast majority of the planet had slave labor at that time.

WWII -- the US saved the world and took nothing for it.

Vietnam war was started by the French, who were trying to get control of their former colony. We fought for democracy for the people rather than a dictatorship. Our intent was good. The application... not so much.

The Korean war was started by North Korea invading South Korea. We again fought for peoples freedoms... which without us, South Korea would not exist. And we took nothing for it.

Iraq war (Gulf War I) was started by Iraq invading Kuwait. We helped liberate a people wrongly invaded.... and again, we took nothing for it.

Iraq war II was a terrible mistake. Bad politicians did bad things.

How much territory has the US taken from anybody in the last 100 years?

Compared to....

Russia -- Georgia, part of Ukraine, and many other countries feel threatened

China -- There are border and island disputes all the way around China... China always wants more. Look it up. Disputes everywhere...

Nobody feels threatened that we might take their territory. And many countries in the world count on us to ensure their integrity.

All this is not to say that we don't make mistakes... and lots of them. And I certainly don't support the current regime running the government. But your anti-US bias is incorrect and in some ways absurd.
You think helping other countries is for free?

How much territory did the US failed to take from others in the last 100 years?

SherKaan

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
The US and its allies can't stop Huawei no matter what they do. They (Huawei) will strike back with vengeance!

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
You think helping other countries is for free?

How much territory did the US failed to take from others in the last 100 years?

I shouldn't... but ok, I'll bite.

No, the US DEFINITELY is not doing it for free. Apparently, on that we are agreed.

It costs us a fortune.

The US actually lost territory in the last 100 years. Look it up.

The US is like a big dumb giant that intends well but makes lots of mistakes. I'm sorry your anti-US bias clouds your judgment.

Come to Washington DC, I'll buy you all the beer you can drink, and we can resolve all the world's problems.

• Thanks
Reactions: [correlate]

Oten

Level 2
Verified
Mar 12, 2018
If u weak u will be robbed and bombed, If u strong u will get sanctions.
If u cant win it (competition), ban them.

Its the American way.

scubindu

May 25, 2019
Huawei in particular and China in general are currently facing difficulties, many large technology firms of many countries around the world have abandoned products from Huawei.

Reactions: upnorth

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Read how the US treated Alstom. The same tactic is now being applied to Huawei

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Read how the US treated Alstom. The same tactic is now being applied to Huawei

Uugghh.

From the same website, here is what Huawei is up to.

This has nothing to do with capitalism and fair markets..

And a fair and balanced view of the situation referred to..

Bias is a hard thing to overcome.

Reactions: CyberTech

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Quote Donald Trump

I want the United States to win through competition, not by blocking out currently more advanced technologies," he said across two tweets.

So, it implies HW has superior technology which the US is not able to break into and spy on the users

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
So, it implies HW has superior technology which the US is not able to break into and spy on the users
I doubt that's the case, seeing as there's been yearly reports from security officials in the UK criticizing Huawei's infrastructure equipment for being full of vulnerabilities and security failings.

Reactions: Burrito

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.