Huawei immediately loses access to Google and Android updates!

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
So the UK wants the US to spy on them or what?

That's a ridiculous conclusion. I could tell you the very basic reasons why... but there is no point.

I respect your security knowledge... but on this stuff, you are off the deep end.

I've no doubt they already do and that the UK is fully aware of it. No doubt the UK does exactly the same.
After the end of WW2 it makes perfect sense to spy on your allies.

Yeah... but since the UK and US have personnel sprinkled all over each others defense and intelligence facilities... for much information, there is no spying necessary. It's shared.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
The question is: What isn't shared? What intelligence do they deliberately withhold from each other? That is what interests me.

Both have STO/SAP (or the equivalent of..) and HUMINT info that is limited sharing. But as a percentage of intelligence collection... it's pretty small the amount that is not shared. Based on incidents earlier this year, I don't blame the Brits at all for sharing a little bit less right now..

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Huawei just got reinstated in Google’s Android Q Beta program, SD Association and other tech groups

After being abandoned by numerous software companies and vendors in the wake of the US trade ban, Chinese technology company Huawei has now been reinstated in a few major tech associations.

According to an announcement by Huawei on Friday (May 31), the company had restored relations with the following:

• SD Association
  • Wi-Fi Alliance
  • Bluetooth
  • Android Q Beta

In the case for Google’s Android Q Beta – a program that enables developers to test and optimise apps for newer versions of Android – only Huawei’s Mate 20 Pro smartphone was added to the platform’s list of eligible devices.

Huawei said in its media update that discussions regarding Android Q Beta are still ongoing.

L

Local Host

I doubt that's the case, seeing as there's been yearly reports from security officials in the UK criticizing Huawei's infrastructure equipment for being full of vulnerabilities and security failings.
That not how those reports work, it's a evaluation center and the reports are supposed to be released yearly since 2010.

They looking for problems in Huawei infrastructure (that affect National Security) and are reporting them to Huawei and the government to be fixed.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Wonder if this little thing had anything to do with the latest decision from Google, SD Association, Wi-Fi Alliance and Bluetooth? :unsure:
This as well

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Wonder if this little thing had anything to do with the latest decision from Google, SD Association, Wi-Fi Alliance and Bluetooth? :unsure:

And that's too bad.

When you have good honest Swedish companies being displaced by entities with unfair business practices... it's just wrong.

Last month, the Netherlands' leading wireless carrier chose Huawei to provide equipment for its next-generation 5G wireless network. The carrier, KPN, insisted the choice was based on quality. But Huawei had another advantage: price.
Huawei underbid the existing vendor, Swedish firm Ericsson, by 60 per cent, according to two industry officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive matter - offering a price that wouldn't even cover the cost of parts.
The company can afford to provide such steep discounts in part because it has a silent partner: the Chinese government. Huawei gets hundreds of millions of dollars in annual subsidies and, together with another Chinese firm, is guaranteed a majority share of the domestic market, the world's largest.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Ericsson, is a sad case in Sweden and not because of Huawei but because of, incompetent leadership. They been involved in some real shady crap over the years and fired and lost extremely many good technicians with high valued knowledge. It's odd IMO that they haven't changed the company name as many other disgraced companies normally done.

In the 5G case, it's actually even officially debated now from the government in Sweden if 5G might be best in the hands of the military and the Security Service. It's something that will be interesting to follow but, I doubt that actually will happen as there is too many major private companies and there pockets involved. The sad news is that the so called country side ( outside major cities ) in Sweden more then likely won't get any cover/connection with 5G as the companies according to rules and laws, can do what ever they like and as not even the old 3G or 4G hardly works, people on the country side ain't directly Happy Chappie.

Now back to the actual main topic!

If now suddenly Huawei is again let inside from the cold as it looks from what @HarborFront shared, and the US president stand by his remarks, it looks and sounds very promising for Huawei and hopefully they can ride out this storm. For me personal I already know and see the updates and access to the Google Playstore on my Huawei P20 Pro, so I'm satisfied. :emoji_v::coffee:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Is Google afraid that they'll lose market share if HW debuts its OS?

Google flags US national security risks from Huawei ban: FT

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Google should close Play Store to China. There is nothing to win. Almost all of the worst malware and fraudulent apps in the Play Store are Chinese apps.

Dex4Sure

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
May 14, 2019
I honestly haven't seen any proof besides the USA word of mouth, pretty much the rest of the world discredited the USA claims and went forward to implement 5G with Huawei tech.

USA did exactly the same thing with Kaspersky, they just trying to get rid of competition the worst way possible, I would rather the rest of the world boycott USA (services like Google, Facebook, Twitter and others that spy on users blantly, and I haven't seen any country ban them).

The USA would have an extremely hard time manipulating everyone, if I had a saying in it.

That's not true at all. Australia also banned Huawei from building 5G networks in their country actually before the US announced they'd ban Huawei from the US markets. I mean come on, a lot of people here are so blue eyed when it comes to China... You really expect a company that's literally in the Chinese communist party's pocket would not plan on spying the countries they build these networks for? There are way too many gullible people in the west these days. We are talking about a country that still throws people in jail or even executes them simply for voicing opinions that criticize the Chinese government. Don't be naive, China is still authoritarian state and one should never forget that.

L

Local Host

That's not true at all. Australia also banned Huawei from building 5G networks in their country actually before the US announced they'd ban Huawei from the US markets. I mean come on, a lot of people here are so blue eyed when it comes to China... You really expect a company that's literally in the Chinese communist party's pocket would not plan on spying the countries they build these networks for? There are way too many gullible people in the west these days. We are talking about a country that still throws people in jail or even executes them simply for voicing opinions that criticize the Chinese government. Don't be naive, China is still authoritarian state and one should never forget that.
Right,
1559970170874.png

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Not sure who I would trust less, the Chinese govt or the United States govt. Huawei is a sponsor of Hockey Night in Canada and is promoted heavily during the show, I'm sure a lot of folks have bought their phones and will be totally pizzed off if Google apps are banned from their phones now.

L

Local Host

Not sure who I would trust less, the Chinese govt or the United States govt. Huawei is a sponsor of Hockey Night in Canada and is promoted heavily during the show, I'm sure a lot of folks have bought their phones and will be totally pizzed off if Google apps are banned from their phones now.
Don't trust either.

All this Huawei nonsense is pure paranoid talk and manipulation from the USA, there's been no evidence to date they doing anything wrong (plus even USA admitted they open to remove the ban).

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.