Periodic malware scanners
Hitman Pro (scheduled on weekends)
Zemana portable
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome x64; Ublock origin, Sticky password, Norton
Maintenance tools
CCleaner (with a scheduled clean on weekends)
File and Photo backup
Norton Security

Huchim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
Editing After clean install, back to Win 8.1 my laptop doesn't like Win 10.

Emsisoft 11 with hosts rules from: https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts
I'll update the hosts every week. This means block domain ads and trackers on the entire OS and great performance.

I configured ninite updater (free) on task sheduler and run on weekends.

I think I cover the basics on security with awesome performance mainly thanks to Emsisoft :D

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That's the problem for most AV today, basic infection through USB are common to be bypass especially shortcut viruses. Having tool like USBFix is a good idea, alongside of McShield which is another alternative and mainly focus on those specific threats.

So stick your current protection [ESET] and add as I mentioned.

Other than that, its a good configuration.

yashiscool

Level 2
Verified
Jan 10, 2013
A few suggestions:
1) Windows 10 does not require Defraggler as it supports inbuilt scheduled weekly defragmentation by default
2) You can encrypt your disks by using BitLocker / TrueCrypt
3) Installing PeerBlock to block the latest infected / malacious IPs /domains alongside with Malwarebyte's AntiMalware will help in reducing any malicious infections in your laptop
4) You may want to use CCEnhancer for better cleaning through CCleaner

Reactions: Logethica

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Good Config! I think if you follow some of the suggestions already posted you will be set.

D

Deleted member 178

Approved by Staff

2s9jymOt.jpg

Use a VM if you play with malwares.

Huchim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
I did a clean installation of my windows, I had a big issue with my laptop, after a research I found that was Intel Mangament driver, it is a big issue in hp´laptops.

Removed: ESET (In my laptop Norton is lighter than ESET, and Norton costs ~$10 for 1pc, 2 years :)), WinPatrol, Defraggler
Added: Malwarebytes Anti-malware Premium (Lifetime), Malwarebytes Anti-exploit Premium (I found a big deal)

Thanks to @yashiscool for the advices.

What do you think about VirtualBox?? It's time to learn something about linux, what version do you recomend? I'll use it for college purposes.

H

hjlbx

@Huchim

For malicious scripts (Evil.Script = .bat, .js, .vbs, etc) use NoVirusThanks Exe Radar Pro.

Stay away from AutoIT, Python, Rexx, Ruby, Lua, etc. If you absolutely must add to vulnerable process list in NVT ERP.

Huchim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
Thanks @hjlbx

I'm going to use Python very soon in a course of my college, I don't have choice.

I'm seeing that NoVirusThanks Exe Radar Pro is outdated, I mean, It doesn't say that is compatible with Windows 10. Do you use it? If yes, what about performance?

H

hjlbx

Thanks @hjlbx

I'm going to use Python very soon in a course of my college, I don't have choice.

I'm seeing that NoVirusThanks Exe Radar Pro is outdated, I mean, It doesn't say that is compatible with Windows 10. Do you use it? If yes, what about performance?

I know it does not state W10 on web page, but there are people using it on W10 without issue.

It is small program and uninstall is clean... so you can try it and if it does not work it is very simple uninstall.

It is freeware: http://downloads.novirusthanks.org/files/EXERadar_Pro_x86_x64_v3.1_15052015_BUILD1.exe

It is beta, but beta is always very stable...

If you will be doing Python scripting, then NVT ERP will be inconvenient for you if you add Python interpreter to vulnerable processes list. In that case, best option would be to do your course and then just uninstall Python. If you will have Python permanently installed, then you will want to use NVT ERP when downloading new files and day-to-day browsing. Once you try it you will see what I mean...

Last edited by a moderator:

Huchim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
Added: winantiransom, vmware player
On demand: Hitmanpro and EEK11

Removed: MBAM, MBAE, Firefox, heimdal free

I have testing this config in a second partition in my laptop for 20 days and seems to be running so light . I use winpatrol to delay programs (winantiransom, zemana AM, nvidia backed, onedrive)
If norton doesn't block usb malware, ZAM it does. And if I'm offline, winpatrol detect the auto-start (vbs and wscript.exe) and I can denegated it. Winantiransom automatically block it.
EEK does and excellent job cleaning the USB. And USB FIX vaccinate the memory stick. I like a lot this config.
The performance is not affected even if I'm with the battery (4-5 hours with e-mail and doc activities)

Thank to everyone for read. I wanted to share this experience

Huchim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
Update:

Removed:

- Appguard
-Adguard extension for chrome

Added:

-Spyshelter premium (giveaway)
-Ublock for chrome
-Https everywhere for chrome

Some settings changed:

-UAC to max and password for UAC in admin account
-Disabled windows script host
-Disabled autorun
-Set Ninite for update programs as a task sheduled (3 times a week)
-Appcontainer for improve security in chrome

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Looks good for a config. Just for you to know Https everywhere can end up being very heavy. You have Nintre Pro? Or you have an installer and use that? I use Nintre at points but I would reccomend replacing it with a software updater like Securina PSI. :)

Huchim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
Hello @J Gamez065, I'm testing https extension(2 days until now), I'm not experiencing slowdown loading pages or streaming in chrome (x64 bits), I have 16 gb of RAM , I think all is fine for now...

I have ninite single ... running in a scheduled days and times when I'm free, this is because I have tested softs like secunia or heimdal free and pro and I always have any kind of problema (slow my pc, crashes or errors on install) so, running ninite at specific times is excellent for me thanks to task scheduler.

Main reason is for simplicity, performance and less money

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I like your Config @Huchim
I like Spyshelter's software...I personally use their free Anti-Keylogger as it feels like having an extra HIPS prog.
I am a massive fan of uBlock Origin :)
It's great that you have UAC at max settings IMO.
I also have HTTPS Everywhere with Chrome..I experience no slowdowns either,but think that @J Gamez065 is correct in saying that sometimes people can find it heavy (Depending on which other softs/exts are used alongside it).

Reactions: JM Safe and Huchim

Huchim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
Hello and thanks @Logethica ,
I think that spyshelter is excellent even in free version, I won their giveaway promo for premium version so let's gonna see how well performs.
What I like from ublock is that can block pop-ups like a charm!

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
@Huchim ..Cool
That was a great giveaway to win.Congratulations.:)
There are not very many paid software that I would consider replacing my free software with,but Spyshelter Premium is one that I would.:)
Yes,uBlock's awesome...
As you may know you can add extra filters to uBlock from Filterlists -Go to Filterlists.com
If you do choose to add more,then I recommend maybe adding just 2 at a time and checking for possible "Browser Slowdown", "Specific page access denial" or "Page breakage"......some lists can cause issues like the "GNU" lists.:)

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
@Huchim
You are very welcome,my friend.:)
You are perfectly OK with just the predefined lists...the extra lists are if you want to play about and experiment.
Remember that too many,or the wrong lists (conflicting) can effect browser speed.
If you want to experiment with additional capabilities of uBlock Origin,such as blocking 3rd party scripts/frames etc..
then going to uBlock Wiki will give you more information:)

Reactions: JM Safe

Huchim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
Performing clean install, back to Win 8.1, Kaspersky as main protection and its tools (Password manager and VPN) I like the software updater included in the last version.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.