Huge Flaw (Qihoo 360 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

LABView707

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 12, 2014
A lot of members in here seem to be praising 360 IS and TS. But 360 suffers from a huge flaw. This flaw has been around for over 6 months and 360 seems to be refusing to address it. With every new version this huge problem is not corrected. I have about 6 emails with 360 support and they are aware of this issue. What is the issue you may ask? 360 products do not work in a standard user account. You can install and run 360 IS or TS in an Admin account perfectly fine. Log out and login in under a standard account and the account is unprotected. You can try all day long to force it to start and it will not work. So think again before recommending and praising 360. Never mind that TS comes with features that are completely and totally unnecessary to any security product. Avast is a far superior free security solution and Eset is a top notch paid product. No reason to start an argument either. I can copy and paste the emails from 360 support. Anyone can duplicate this flaw also.

Another thing. 360 China version and this new 360 TS version are completely different. AVC and AV Test.org are testing 360 China. Not 360 TS Free.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Interesting post, would be great if you could post those emails to and from support (obviously blanking any personal info). Obviously this is a pretty serious claim. If anybody on the forums can verify this, please give me a PM ;)

Reactions: Kent

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
This is not a personal attack on 360. I am trying make members aware of a serious flaw.

Apologies if you misunderstood where I was coming from, this is a pretty serious flaw for an anti-virus product to have, and certainly if you have any proof of it, or can get verifiable proof (a video would be nice) then we can advise our users here not to use 360TS until this issue is fixed.

LABView707

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 12, 2014
Hold on. Let me edit my email. Give me a minute. Any 360 user can duplicate this. It has been around since IS. I tried IS several times. Same issue.

Reactions: JAMESWT and Cowpipe

LABView707

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 12, 2014
Capture.png

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
A lot of members in here seem to be praising 360 IS and TS. But 360 suffers from a huge flaw. This flaw has been around for over 6 months and 360 seems to be refusing to address it. With every new version this huge problem is not corrected. I have about 6 emails with 360 support and they are aware of this issue. What is the issue you may ask? 360 products do not work in a standard user account. You can install and run 360 IS or TS in an Admin account perfectly fine. Log out and login in under a standard account and the account is unprotected. You can try all day long to force it to start and it will not work. So think again before recommending and praising 360. Never mind that TS comes with features that are completely and totally unnecessary to any security product. Avast is a far superior free security solution and Eset is a top notch paid product. No reason to start an argument either. I can copy and paste the emails from 360 support. Anyone can duplicate this flaw also.

Another thing. 360 China version and this new 360 TS version are completely different. AVC and AV Test.org are testing 360 China. Not 360 TS Free.

i am aware of this issue already, i already talked about this in this forum, but i didnt have the time to create a topic for it. You are completely right that doesnt mean it is a bad product, however this failure is not the only one, there are many ones (for example about the bitdenfender updates and other ones). i already contact them via facebook but they didnt answer, well at least for me, is not a problem cuz i am the only one who uses the pc.

This is not a hidden flaw, cuz on start you may see a pop up prompting a message telling you that an AC user account is rquired, the only thing is you have to do is run the program with admin privileges and thats all, (all least for me works).

ABOUT BITDEFENDER FLAW

by some reason the bitdefender database used in qihoo is not the same as seen on emsisoft or even the same bitdefender IS as well, why? simple, there are many samples that are not detected by bitdefender engine (qihoo) but they are already covered by bitdefender paid version, even old samples (from several days old). my theory is that, due to the fact bitdefender uses to update hourly the databases and qihoo updates two times per day, some signatures are lost in the way.

EXPERIMENT: take an old malware pack from here (a week old etc) scan with qihoo in offline mode, then do the same with bitdefender IS; TS, AV you would see a big diffrence in detection rate (and supposedly the detection rate must be the same).

Conectivity issue

as all we know qihoo with out internet is a ***, but i think it makes a good job from preventing infection, in the rare case you get infected you can easily connect to a network and wait for qihoo to remove the hazard, if not we have second opinion scanners. I believe that all users here are smart enough to get infected in a normal basis.

Finally if you mix software eg: qihoo+private firewall+traffic light etc. that would be enough. BUT I WILL STAY WITH QIHOO anyway.

PST: sorry for my poor english, it is not my main language, if you have any problems trying to get my point send me a PM and i wiil explain you :D

Last edited:
Reactions: FreddyFreeloader

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Yes this is one flaw I found out in Qihoo, Works only if you're using an admin account. Anyway since I'm since this is what I use for analysing malwares, no need for me to use a standard account. I agree witnn @LABView707, that flaw should be addressed.

LABView707

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 12, 2014
So what about people with 360 and multiple user accounts? I have never ever seen an antivirus do this in 20+ years. It is a major problem. Right clicking and run as Admin will not work if you are a standard user.

MalwareHunter

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 30, 2014
A lot of members in here seem to be praising 360 IS and TS. But 360 suffers from a huge flaw. This flaw has been around for over 6 months and 360 seems to be refusing to address it.
6 months? :eek:
I can't believe that 6 months (and a lot of emails etc) not enough for them to solve this issue.
I will never recommend this software to anyone regardless they solve this or not. They released a software for protecting the users and...:D A simple tool which checks every newly created file (downloaded from internet for example) with VT or any online scanner is better than this. (No, not really, but...)

They had solve this problem before they released the first version and not 6 months later (oops, the flaw is still exist)...How they was able to create a protection engine if they can't solve a problem like this in 6 months?o_O

Qihoo 360 Support Team

Level 1
Verified
Aug 12, 2014
Dear Users, here's Qihoo 360 Support Team.
Thank you for all your great effort to help us to improve and all your feedback.
We've already noticed this and we are working hard to fix it.
And we will release the fixed version in near future for the non-administrator account problem.
Please keep an eye on our official website for latest information.
So again, thank you and please feel free to contact us anytime you have any question or suggestion about our product.

Kind regards,
Qihoo 360 Support Team
Email:support@360safe.com

LABView707

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 12, 2014
To me you are not working hard on this. Sorry to rain on your parade. This is a serious, serious flaw and needs to be addressed immediately. Also till then you should but a note on your webpage that this product only works in an Admin account. Why release a new version on Aug 12th with no fix to this issue? It cannot be that hard when every other security product does not have this issue. Heck if Comodo can do it so can you. I would expect this to be fixed by the end of this month. Till then i cannot recommend your product to anyone.

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013

From my suspicious mind - it requires an Administrator account so all the backdoors Q360 has installed by the Peoples Liberation Army Hackers Unit will be allowed access to your machine. Just saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.