Human error or navigation hacking? Outside experts disagree on cause of repeated U.S. Navy collision

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
On Monday, the U.S. Navy announced that divers had recovered the remains of all 10 sailors killed when the USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker in the Strait of Malacca, near Singapore, last week. The crash was the second such deadly incident this summer for the U.S. Seventh Fleet, based in Japan, and the fourth accident since January. Right after last week's collision, the Navy relieved Vice Adm. Joseph Aucoin of command of the Seventh Fleet, a rare punishment for a three-star admiral. But the Navy is still unsure why two high-tech Navy destroyers got blindsided by giant, slow-moving cargo ships, or whether the incidents are connected. There are several preliminary theories.

Full Article. Human error or navigation hacking? Outside experts disagree on cause of repeated U.S. Navy collisions.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Human error or hack, the situation leaves me puzzled either way. Just because my Garmin sends me straight into the Mississippi doesn't mean I follow its advice. Granted, some folks do, but I doubt the U.S. Navy is in the business of employing morons. Also, we're not talking about some car with a sleepy driver, there's usually a ton of people on their toes so everything runs smoothly. Of course, they yanked the guy who wasn't even there, as usual. Great job.

I'd actually be laughing if it wasn't for the tragic loss of life. My thoughts are with the sailor's families. :(

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

On Monday, the U.S. Navy announced that divers had recovered the remains of all 10 sailors killed when the USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker in the Strait of Malacca, near Singapore, last week. The crash was the second such deadly incident this summer for the U.S. Seventh Fleet, based in Japan, and the fourth accident since January. Right after last week's collision, the Navy relieved Vice Adm. Joseph Aucoin of command of the Seventh Fleet, a rare punishment for a three-star admiral. But the Navy is still unsure why two high-tech Navy destroyers got blindsided by giant, slow-moving cargo ships, or whether the incidents are connected. There are several preliminary theories.

Full Article. Human error or navigation hacking? Outside experts disagree on cause of repeated U.S. Navy collisions.

Hacking or GPS spoofing combined with over reliance on instrument navigation would be my guess. China already warned us of our actions and this could be the result. If the Iranians can hijack the OS of one of our stealth drones and land it at their airfield, what can China do? I would bet our guys have their faces buried in instruments and computer panels and aren't looking out of the window of the command room like the old days.

Destroyers are fast and agile, they shouldn't be hit by huge comparatively slow moving tankers/cargo ships..IMO

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
A perfect rule for life in general. :D

Regarding the armed forces not employing morons.. .you'd be surprised.
Oh, no worries, I served for 10 years as well. :p It's just that I'd expect bridge posts to be manned with adequate personnel, not with Pvt. Numbnut who can't tie his own boots. You wouldn't place that type of guy in a tower as air traffic controller either. ;)

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
A perfect rule for life in general. :D

It's one of the rules of my life.. I don't even ignore my own stupidity :)

Oh, no worries, I served for 10 years as well. :p It's just that I'd expect bridge posts to be manned with adequate personnel, not with Pvt. Numbnut who can't tie his own boots. You wouldn't place that type of guy in a tower as air traffic controller either. ;)

Do you know that slow shifts in which nothing can go wrong and we can let the boys rest and "Joe" can stay there doing nothing...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.