Hunterxaga Sec Config

hunterxaga

Thread author
Aug 4, 2012
I want to use Comodo Firewall, but it slow down my internet connection.

so, i only use avast to maximize the internet connection

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What edition of Windows?

If Windows 7, SP1 and IE9. Advised to upgrade Internet Explorer through Windows Update.
If Windows Vista, SP2 and IE8.

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
What version of Windows do you have Vista or 7?

I would recommend you upgrade Internet Explorer to version 9.

For on demand scanners, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Dr. Web CureIt a bootable antivirus. I would recommend Malwarebytes AntiMalware, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, or Hitman Pro.

Do you have add-ons for Chome or Firefox.

If Comodo Firewall won't work for you then try ZoneAlarm Free Firewall.

What Web Browser do you use most?

P

Plexx

What are the purposes of this config/system? Windows 7 firewall can also be enough depending on its usage.

Dr.Web CureIt can be an on demand scanner but it will load in its own environment, similar to HMP Force Breach Mode.

It is still an ok Scanner, mind you.

If you are to use avast! to maximize connection, then I suggest AVG:)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
OK. Windows 7.

Even if you don't use Internet Explorer, I advise upgrading to IE9.

Your security set-up looks good, no need for extra software/changes from what I see.

hunterxaga

Thread author
Aug 4, 2012
Malware Maniac said:
What version of Windows do you have Vista or 7?

I would recommend you upgrade Internet Explorer to version 9.

For on demand scanners, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Dr. Web CureIt a bootable antivirus. I would recommend Malwarebytes AntiMalware, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, or Hitman Pro.

Do you have add-ons for Chome or Firefox.

If Comodo Firewall won't work for you then try ZoneAlarm Free Firewall.

What Web Browser do you use most?

Ok, Thanx for Suggest

only avast! web rep add-ons

I had never used ZoneAlarm Free Firewall, but it's worse than comodo

FireFox

P

Plexx

I would still remove avast for now. Their beta has the random bsod and other bugs fixed but still in beta. Until then the current version of avast still has slowdowns and issues present.

Other than that, apart from IE9 as Earth suggested, your good to go.

Oh and stick to woindows 7 firewall unless you want additional control over it, which to be honest depending on the situation you might not need it, correct Earth?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Have you got, (there's that question :p ) any backup options?

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Alright so, Nice config but here are my views and recommendations:

operating system: Good

Real-time protection: Avast is good for free but however they been having some problems and need to improve on things.
Free:
Comodo Internet Security
AVG Free
Avira Free

Paid:
Norton Internet Security 2012
Bitdefender Internet Security 2013
Kaspersky Internet Security 2012
If you want to keep avast, Just add some companions like:
Malwarebytes Pro and Kingsoft AV 2012.

On-demand scanners: Dr Web is good, but haven't used it myself.
You can add:
Malwarebytes Free
Hitman Pro

Web Browser: Wow you have a lot... If you use IE, You should upgrade it to version 9. Otherwise, Great!

Addons: I would add WOT

Web Protection: Aside from Avast's web protection you could add something like Bit Defender Traffic light which is my personal favorite.

Utility: CCleaner and Advanced System Care is good. You could add Auslogics Defrag if needed.

Bootable Disks:
These are very handy if things go terribly wrong during a malware infection and impossible to remove.

I would create any of these to keep with you:
Kaspersky Rescue Disk
Comodo Rescue Disk
Avira Rescue Disk

Welcome to MalwareTips!

hunterxaga

Thread author
Aug 4, 2012
I had used AVG Internet Security 2012 but it's slowdown startup and loading page on firefox

utilities : I Have Auslogics Defrag and CCleaner, This is very good utilites

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
I would say avast! 7 free is great for prevention...I recommend it...you just need some additional tools like HMP and MBAM Pro...Avast! doesnt have any bugs interfearing in its protection modules ;)

I cant find any reason to go to any other product because avast is very good for prevention :)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
If you want to pay for an AV, then I would go with either Trend, Kaspersky, ESET, but if you want something you can have that's free and you can install and leave, Avast, Comodo Internet Security.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.