What OS should I use.

• Total voters

NekoJonez

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2015
In the unending battle against malware, you can do a lot of things. I'm trying to actively find malware (mostly adware) and trying to disinfect computers.

For that, I use various VM's. But because making snapshots and such can take up a ton of disk space and malware creators continually evolve... I'm doubting what windows OS is best to search & test malware on. What OS would you use and why?

Should I upgrade my VM to Windows10 or not? Should I upgrade it to Win8.1? Or should I leave it at Win7?

Thanks in advance guys.

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
In the unending battle against malware, you can do a lot of things. I'm trying to actively find malware (mostly adware) and trying to disinfect computers.

For that, I use various VM's. But because making snapshots and such can take up a ton of disk space and malware creators continually evolve... I'm doubting what windows OS is best to search & test malware on. What OS would you use and why?

Should I upgrade my VM to Windows10 or not? Should I upgrade it to Win8.1? Or should I leave it at Win7?

Thanks in advance guys.
Stay at 7, because its more stable then windows 10.

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
XP yes
Vista yes
win 7 yes
8 no
10 no
thx
you can shrink win 7 cd to half of the size it'll save you 50% of space, remove all unneeded things

Last edited:
Reactions: nsm0220

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
If you want to limit yourself to one OS, no question that you should use the most popular. As of last week:

Market Share- Windows 7- ~53%
Windows 8 and 8.1- ~17%
Windows XP- ~9%
Windows 10- ~6%
Windows Vista- ~2%

And as Win 7 and 8 are the same (as far as malware is concerned) except for the Interface, so overall a Windows 7 VM covers a bit over 70% of all installations.

(Umbra's correct as usual)

Reactions: done

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
If you want to limit yourself to one OS, no question that you should use the most popular. As of last week:

Market Share- Windows 7- ~53%
Windows 8 and 8.1- ~17%
Windows XP- ~9%
Windows 10- ~6%
Windows Vista- ~2%

And as Win 7 and 8 are the same (as far as malware is concerned) except for the Interface, so overall a Windows 7 VM covers a bit over 70% of all installations.

(Umbra's correct as usual)
There should more XP's. I do believe that it's more around 20% or even more at least in Canada:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.