Question I am curious?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
I use uBlock Origin in medium mode, but today someone asked me if I also use an extension like Malwarebytes Browser guard or Netcraft. I said no, I do not use those because of uBlock Origin combined with NextDNS as my systemwide DNS. But they believe I should still install something like Malwarebytes Browser guard or Netcraft? (Something along those lines.)

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
If you already have uBlock Origin and NextDNS, you already have a strong level of protection against malicious websites and ads. While additional extensions like Malwarebytes Browser Guard or Netcraft can provide extra layers of security, they may not be necessary if you are satisfied with your current setup. It ultimately depends on your personal preferences and the level of confidence you have in your existing tools.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
You are using microsoft defender, but are using firefox so you dont benefit from smartscreen, you benefit from the google safe browsing

So you already have:
Browser level security - google safe browsing
DNS level security - nextdns
Extension level security - ublock origin

Ublock origin already covers you on strict mode , so you would only be worrying about phishing sites

I would say that if you use nextdns on so called strict settings ,where you have blocking of newly registered domains etc. you really dont need extension of any kind for antiphishing

So if you can spot phishing sites , you dont need extensions, but if unsure you should be probably use netcraft to cover your weak spot

By looking your config here on MalwareTips, it seems to me that you can spot phishing/fake campaing and you should not need extension to protect you against phishing, youre more advanced user than average joe wich only is relying on smartscreen/ google safe browsing only, but this is just my personal opinion i would wait for more replys so you can make your decision better

Last edited:

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Thank you Moonhorse, that is really nice to read. (y)

And yes, I can spot phishing/fake, that is why I had that discussion with a few others today, but I guess I just wanted to hear what others here thought. :)

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Thank you Moonhorse, that is really nice to read. (y)

And yes, I can spot phishing/fake, that is why I had that discussion with a few others today, but I guess I just wanted to hear what others here thought. :)
Malwarebytes is kinda useless and its heavy when looking on cpu usage/ memory usage , nextdns covers this spot

Nextdns also covers the phishing protection netcraft brings you , ublock origin (strict mode) does cover same stuff as netcraft does, only thing youre missing here is protection against skimmers >

> Credential leak detection – Even if you come across a shopping site skimmer that Netcraft has not yet detected, the extension can still work to protect your card details. Credential leak detection inspects outgoing requests on the fly, blocking them if they carry your sensitive data to potentially malicious external domains. The compromised site is then blocked and reported to Netcraft.

So i would only install netcraft for skimmer protection , once again its personal opinion and some people can disagree with me

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
For the record NextDNS has google safe browsing, thus the reason I rely solely on NextDNS, I consider protection extensions as overkill.

Yeah, I just looked at Netcraft, and I will pass on it. Not because I believe it is bad, but simply because I am not installing an extension just because of one thing.

I trust uBlock Origin+NextDNS (With HaGeZi Multi Pro list.) and more importantly my own instinct.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
So i would only install netcraft for skimmer protection , once again its personal opinion and some people can disagree with me
Indeed, if I were to use it this would be the only reason ...
For the record NextDNS has google safe browsing, thus the reason I rely solely on NextDNS, I consider protection extensions as overkill.
(y)(y) I use only a competent ad & tracker blocker extension. Less is more. :)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I use uBlock Origin in medium mode, but today someone asked me if I also use an extension like Malwarebytes Browser guard or Netcraft. I said no, I do not use those because of uBlock Origin combined with NextDNS as my systemwide DNS. But they believe I should still install something like Malwarebytes Browser guard or Netcraft? (Something along those lines.)
You should be installing extensions that uBO and NextDNS are not providing the protections like

Chrome History Cleaner
Classic Cache Killer
Cookie AutoDelete
CSS Exfil Protection
DJ NOScript
Trace
Font Fingerprint Defender
IDN Safe
Keyboard Privacy
Ping Blocker
Netcraft Extension

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
It's a nice pastime to discuss browser extensions / add-ons. But it can't be regarded separately from the browser(s) you use and its settings. For instance Mozilla based browsers can be modified on points (webgl, beacons, stripping URLs) that require an extension in Cromium based browsers. Hardening the browser is IMO always preferable to installing extensions. It doesn't take away that even the strict setting for ad- and tracker blocking in many browsers (perhaps except Brave) isn't sufficient. So it's hardly impossible to avoid extensions completely (or a desktop solution like Adguard for Windows).

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.