Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
I can't enable Windows Update
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Reinstall NoVirusThanks Win Update Stop
I use NoVirusThanks Win Update Stop to manually enable and disable Windows Update, but for some reason I can't enable Windows Update through the app, and the service itself. I had Windows Update disable before, and now I can't enable it. I did reinstall the app, but it is no luck at all.

sfc/scannow and Windows Update troubleshooting seem to be stuck.

Reactions: upnorth

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Try typing in run, services.msc then you can manually configure, hope this helps Gl, scroll down then right click for options

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I have to restore my PC. I am not happy at all that NVT Win Update Stop rekt my Windows Update service for no reason. :mad:

I can't manually enable the service through Service because everything is grey out. I can't register Windows Update services and files. SFC/scannow and Windows Update Troubleshooting can't fix the problem.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I am not happy at all that NVT Win Update Stop rekt my Windows Update service for no reason.
To be fair, it did exactly as it was supposed to do, maybe too well, but still, it definitely works.
People usually do not enable updates back on, so they have hardly any reports about the issue.

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Is there a rest button in NVT? I would uninstall it.

There is no reset button in it. No matter how many reboot and click on the " enable " button, Windows Update will not work.

I think I should go with @TairikuOkami code to disable auto update but manual update work. I forgot the code he provided to me a long time ago.

To be fair, it did exactly as it was supposed to do, maybe too well, but still, it definitely works.
People usually do not enable updates back on, so they have hardly any reports about the issue.

Do you have the code you provided to me a long time ago to disable auto update but manual update work?

Reactions: harlan4096
Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Manual update work?
Try DavidXanatos/wumgr - it is way faster and it does not start automatically downloading updates upon checking.

I prefer manual/manual update, way more reliable, it does not rely on a possibly corrupted %WINDIR%\SoftwareDistribution 's folder.
Code:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/secu/2018/12/windows10.0-kb4471332-x64_a2bd8ca500cb0d9e358179d1e67ac9e2a3bf43cb.msu
DISM /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Windows10.0-KB4471332-x64_PSFX.cab

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Try DavidXanatos/wumgr - it is way faster and it does not start automatically downloading updates upon checking.

I prefer manual/manual update, way more reliable, it does not rely on a possibly corrupted %WINDIR%\SoftwareDistribution 's folder.
Code:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/secu/2018/12/windows10.0-kb4471332-x64_a2bd8ca500cb0d9e358179d1e67ac9e2a3bf43cb.msu
DISM /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Windows10.0-KB4471332-x64_PSFX.cab

I just using your codes to disable auto check for update. Is this look good? It doesn't look the same as the picture you posted here? ( https://i.postimg.cc/FzvJHSp4/capture_09232018_115646.jpg ). All input codes ran successfully.

Screenshot_2.png

Upvote 0

I use NoVirusThanks Win Update Stop to manually enable and disable Windows Update, but for some reason I can't enable Windows Update through the app, and the service itself. I had Windows Update disable before, and now I can't enable it. I did reinstall the app, but it is no luck at all.

sfc/scannow and Windows Update troubleshooting seem to be stuck.

Try the Windows Update troubleshooter. If that doesn't work, then clean install Windows.

Sitting there for hours and days trying to fix it, in that amount of time you can clean install WIndows and have a fresh system.

You posted at 6:45 pm yesterday. You could have fixed the issue entirely yesterday with a clean Windows install.

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I have to restore my PC. I am not happy at all that NVT Win Update Stop rekt my Windows Update service for no reason. :mad:

I can't manually enable the service through Service because everything is grey out. I can't register Windows Update services and files. SFC/scannow and Windows Update Troubleshooting can't fix the problem.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Use NSudo in Trusted Installer mode to change disabled Win update and BITS services in services.msc.
Also you need Win update service to do offline updates.Always use WUMT wrapper script's wub.exe for one click Win update disabling/enabling the services.

Reactions: Weebarra
Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I just using your codes to disable auto check for update. Is this look good?
Nope. Try this one:
Code:
takeown /s %computername% /u %username% /f "%WINDIR%\System32\UsoClient.exe"
icacls "%WINDIR%\System32\UsoClient.exe" /inheritance:r /grant:r %username%:(OI)(CI)F /q /c
icacls "%WINDIR%\System32\UsoClient.exe" /remove %username% "Administrators" "Authenticated Users" "Users" "System"

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Nope. Try this one:
Code:
takeown /s %computername% /u %username% /f "%WINDIR%\System32\UsoClient.exe"
icacls "%WINDIR%\System32\UsoClient.exe" /inheritance:r /grant:r %username%:(OI)(CI)F /q /c
icacls "%WINDIR%\System32\UsoClient.exe" /remove %username% "Administrators" "Authenticated Users" "Users" "System"

How do I know or tell if these codes are working?
Screenshot_8.png

Reactions: Weebarra
Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Personally I would just clean install gaining a pristine lightened system.
No way I would spend more than 1h trying to fix it.

But I want to disable Windows automatic update and Microsoft makes this a painass process just to turn the switch off. Manually disable Windows Update and Windows Modules services don't work because these two automatic enable later on. No way hell no I am going to touch NVT Win Update Stop app again because this app nuke my laptop Windows Update no mercy.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.