Well-known
May 19, 2016
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Email Address "pwned"
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
None
Hello,
I'm not sure that it's the right place for this thread:unsure:
After reading this very interesting Heimdal" blog: Here Are the Biggest Cybersecurity Threats to Watch out for in 2018 , I decided to test my mail addresses on HIBP' site : Have I Been Pwned: Check if your email has been compromised in a data breach , and I discovered that one of my addresse have been "pwned".:eek:
I understand that my account was hacked but I don't know what I can do and how I can discover what is the guilty website ?
Thanks for your help.
HIBP1.PNG

HIBP2.PNG

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I understand that my account was hacked but I don't know what I can do
Just change the password, not much else you can do about it, unless the webpage in question increases its security.
I would not be too concerned about it, it happens all the time and mostly behind the closed door.

https://hacked-emails.com is free.

Attachments

• capture_07222018_105456.jpg
    capture_07222018_105456.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Just change the password, not much else you can do about it, unless the webpage in question increases its security.
I would not be too concerned about it, it happens all the time and mostly behind the closed door.

https://hacked-emails.com is free.
Thanks @TairikuOkami :)
If my understanding is right, you mean that this hack is not very dangerous for me ?:unsure:
I found the guilty website and it seems that the hack appeared on October 2016 !
When you say that I have to change the password, you mean my mail account password or this website account ?

Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
If my understanding is right, you mean that this hack is not very dangerous for me ?:unsure:
1. Most likely just emails of registered users have been leaked from the webpage.
2. Your account on the webpage has been compromised, so changing the password will do.

I did not even bother changing my password on those though, I use the same one for 99% of webpages, so it is not like I can do that. :D

When you say that I have to change the password, you mean my mail account password or this website account ?
Just the website account, it has nothing to do with your email account, unless you would see, that the webpage in question would be gmail.com

Reactions: JB007
Upvote 0
I

illumination

Yes you have to watch for the scare tactics... It is as suggested, the website mentioned, change the password on that account, and what ever you do, do not use the same passwords for your website accounts as you do for your email, and you will be just fine. It happens so often im willing to bet anyone from this forum could run that and find at least one hit from their email.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Yes you have to watch for the scare tactics... It is as suggested, the website mentioned, change the password on that account, and what ever you do, do not use the same passwords for your website accounts as you do for your email, and you will be just fine. It happens so often im willing to bet anyone from this forum could run that and fine at least one hit from their email.
Thanks+++ @illumination and @TairikuOkami,
Before your answers I was a bit worried.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I understand that my account was hacked
Only if your account was accessed by an unauthorised person. A compromised database does not always mean you as an individual were targeted, however you're still vulnerable is no action is taken by yourself.
  • Sign out of all websites and apps.
  • Revoke all tokens.
  • Change your password.
  • Enable 2FA/2SV.
  • Save your Backup codes.
Was this an affected Outlook.com account?

Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Only if your account was accessed by an unauthorised person. A compromised database does not always mean you as an individual were targeted, however you're still vulnerable is no action is taken by yourself.
  • Sign out of all websites and apps.
  • Revoke all tokens.
  • Change your password.
  • Enable 2FA/2SV.
  • Save your Backup codes.
Was this an affected Outlook.com account?
Thanks @Spawn :)
Sorry but my English is poor and I don't understand "Revoke all tokens" ?
No it is not an Outlook.com account and I'm not sure of what site it is ?
Possibly a "betting" site ?
HIBP3.PNG

Reactions: upnorth
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.