Battle I need suggestions for Antivirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkidRow24

Thread author
Nov 26, 2015
Hello. Sorry for the long title, but I'd like to purchase one of these softwares now that some of them have discounts and I have read that most of these are very good.

Which one would you recommend, that is not very heavy in resources (not looking for the lightest either) just for the best one overall. Thank you.

Reactions: Maxxx58

aseu2k15

Level 1
Verified
Nov 26, 2015
Last edited:

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
i think you need to try Eset or Emsisoft.
I dont know how well you are aware of the internet threats, but using common sense will save you most of the times.

I have used Eset, Emsisoft, Avira & Kaspersky in the past so i can talk only according my experience.

Kaspersky seems to be a little heavy but it does well in the detection/disinfection area. Kaspersky has this great ability to disinfect infected files and this can be very useful if for example an important system file is infected.

Avira is also good but my opinion is that it is an overated product. It's doing well but it was never my favorite. It is buggy sometimes and this ''system is being scanned'' everytime it finds a virus can slow down your pc.

Emsisoft is using 2 engines (Emsisoft & Bitdefender). It is a very simple product to use, very effective, and with a great support team. I'm sure you will find Emsisoft's behavior blocker very useful. In my case it caused a huge slow system start up and high memory usage.

Eset will be my top choice as it is very light on the system (and believe me i do crazy things with my pc). It's detection rate is awesome, and in my opinion, the best among other paid products. Eset also release very frequent updates to detect even 0 day threats. It's among the first companies who correspond faster to 0 day threats. Their support team is also great.

According your experience and computer specifications is always better to ''try before you buy'' It is the only way to find out what product really meet your needs.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Kaspersky
ESET
Emsisoft

This is my Top 3 :)
I guess they're everyone's top 3. :D

Anyway, I believe you should look around for videos on YouTube and similar sites as well as testimonials of other users here on MalwareTips and other forums to make a more unbiased decision. It's really a matter of which one you like most, because these 3 vendors are very similar on many points and it really comes down to what you prefer and which one you can configure best for your computer's environment.

Reactions: Kate_L

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In my view Avira IS is not a worth to try since features are rather slim + relies mainly on signatures/detection capabilities without any secondary components except Cloud for other purposes.

For the four of them you may go to Kaspersky for overall protection enhancement.

Next to ESET and Emsisoft for alternatives since they are known for having good secondary components that balance their traditional approach.

F-secure is worth to try also, since Deepguard is yet another an active BB with Cloud functionality as reference to determine alerts.

SkidRow24

Thread author
Nov 26, 2015
Thank you all =) I'll try Kaspersky, ESET and Emsisoft. I'm not an advanced PC user, just above average maybe, and I have seen some independent labs test and some have great results in a certain lab, but they do bad on others. So that's why I decided to ask here.

I have used F-Secure in the past and I liked it but I wasn't sure how good it was compared to these 3 that seems to be in top of everyone's choices.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@SkidRow24 : You may try as an alternative (F-secure), their performance perform quite very well however the FP rates based on independent testing organization are quite high so you may observe that when you install.

Nedim

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2013
@SkidRow24 : You may try as an alternative (F-secure), their performance perform quite very well however the FP rates based on independent testing organization are quite high so you may observe that when you install.

Another vote for F-secure. Light and effective. No probs with FP-s here. Or try what you want for a couple of days and see how it's working for you.
And then make a decision.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Used Kaspersky Total Security, it protected me well enough during university times. Few things I don't really fancy are those add-ons.
Emsisoft attracted to me now. Very light. Using EAM now, didn't try EIS.

Reactions: SloppyMcFloppy

SkidRow24

Thread author
Nov 26, 2015
Well, I started by trying Emsisoft and in the first scan it found a registry key application.adreg (a), then it says (no risk). I quarantined it but it found it again in the second scan. Any idea what is it?

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
Used Kaspersky Total Security, it protected me well enough during university times. Few things I don't really fancy are those add-ons.
Emsisoft attracted to me now. Very light. Using EAM now, didn't try EIS.

Mine is just Bitdefender Total Security 2016, and nothing else.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Hello. Sorry for the long title, but I'd like to purchase one of these softwares now that some of them have discounts and I have read that most of these are very good.

Which one would you recommend, that is not very heavy in resources (not looking for the lightest either) just for the best one overall. Thank you.
Personally none of the above, I would recommend any version of avast! but out of the ones you stated, Emsisoft or Avira would be the best :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@SkidRow24: According to the brief research, its something related to the adware components. Have you install something which is bundled and consider to be PUP/Adware?

You may try to scan with AdwCleaner for possible check, sometimes the removal capabilities varies on typical antivirus product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.