Advice Request I uninstalled Bitdefender TS - Heavy & Buggy. Money lost! - Is this normal?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Brie

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
i just looked in the malware hub. eset got 107 out of 109 samples. eset had a 98% success rate. i looked up the last 8 tests. eset has improved lately because i checked it before and eset was average.
below is the malware hub search.
Search results for query: eset samples

Last edited:
Reactions: Black Wings

uduoix

Level 5
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
So what tests do you go by then? Because i've never seen it test good anywhere.

You can't compare this tests (AV-test etc..) with real life. They download and run every malware/virus/whatever they found online. I'm pretty sure you don't do that on your PC.

Most of AVs should be good enough for average users. My parents have ESET for years and they were never infected.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
So what tests do you go by then? Because i've never seen it test good anywhere.
Static scanning on hashes may give pretty good on board detections
That never means it protects you REAL TIME
Most of the tests found are STATIC ..collects 4 week old malwares and runs a right click scan ..that definetly whoops 99% detection rates"
Wanna Cry outbreak may give you real world example
Just 3-4 vendors caught it proactively..even now more than 80% vendors are still vulnerable to the attack

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
It was so heavy in the test during a week, I even have 4 virgin licenses and I did not want to use them, until they solve their heavy load. tested on quad core i7 3.4ghz 8gb, and in the acer aspire one with i3 2.8ghz dual core, and in the amd fx buldozer 8 cores 16gb ram.

Brie

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
i had a bad windows installation. it made everything heavy.

i just got 6 months of bitdefender free from the giveaway section of MT. it did average in the malware hub. it performed well in 2 out of the last 4 tests. the other 2 times, it was infected.

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
i had a bad windows installation. it made everything heavy.

i just got 6 months of bitdefender free from the giveaway section of MT. it did average in the malware hub. it performed well in 2 out of the last 4 tests. the other 2 times, it was infected.
Bitdefender is a bit on the heavier side as far as security software goes, but its protection is 5-star. Keep in mind that the malware hub is based on very few, obscure, early malware. It is in no way an indication of its performance against more mainstream malware you may run across while browsing and downloading.

Black Wings

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 20, 2018
Yesterday I uninstalled Bitdefender IS from my computer.
Everything was working correctly, I didn't have bugs just a little problem.
I was uncomfortable not being able to listen to my favorite Internet radio station, I listened to others, but not the one I wanted and I did not receive any notice from Bitdefender informing me about any special measures on that page.
I uninstalled the antivirus and listened to it again without any problem.
Too bad, because I think it's a really good solution, but it has to polish some defects to recover the position it had years ago.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Dear Mahesh, may i know which vendors did well against Wanna Cry Outbreak ? Thanks.
Dr Web, kaspersky, F secure, Norton
However kaspersky h5eavily dependent on roll back..Though encryption has not been stopped, but files have been re created as needed.
F secure (DG) is concerned, no credit here since F secure may have blocked it as a rare file , blind approach with pros and cons
Sonar did it's part to the maximum without depending on signatures.

AV-Freak

Level 1
Verified
Feb 14, 2018
Dr Web, kaspersky, F secure, Norton
However kaspersky h5eavily dependent on roll back..Though encryption has not been stopped, but files have been re created as needed.
F secure (DG) is concerned, no credit here since F secure may have blocked it as a rare file , blind approach with pros and cons
Sonar did it's part to the maximum without depending on signatures.
Thanks for the reply. May i know how Eset did ? As they don't excel when it comes to behavior blocking is concerned. And the freebie king Avast ? Thanks. :giggle:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Guys- when you view tests, please keep this in mind- serious Blackhats will morph their malware at the very least every 24 hours (should be every 12 hours); and THIS is the stuff that is being actively pushed out. The only time you will see relic malware (D+2 and older) will be in malware packs and/or stuff being distributed by Noobs.

Point being- NEVER EVER rely on something that depends ONLY on definitions. They look really good on tests when older malware is used, but in real life suck big time.

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
Bitdefender got stuck in the past, huge signatures that consume I/O speed-disk and ram, Nazis heavy panzer tank is reason enough to fly off and leave the feathers, if the fenixdoes not fly, (your pc), then it will be a prey.

Reactions: oldschool

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
AV's are good if based on a multi-layered approach with other lightweight/proven programs (OSArmor as an example), so most attack surfaces are covered.

~LDogg

Reactions: oldschool

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
I took it to a computer repair store. $80.
Computer guy did not make remarks about to much security (VoodooShield + SecureAplus + OS Armor + Bitdefender)? Adding four process inspecting programs to the Windows 10 OS is it is like fuelling an engine up with LPG, Diesel, Gasoline and Nitrogin and being surprised the engine grinds to a halt.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Many problems with BitDefender (or another advanced AV) are not related to any bugs, even when when is true that it has some bugs. Usually, the user installed/uninstalled several security applications before installing BitDefender, and still thinks that the system is the same as in the beginning. If the VoodooShield was installed after BitDefender then the user would blame VoodooShield, etc.
Any advice from the heart is based on the user experience, but most users who had problems with AVs do not take into consideration the above simple fact related to software compatibility and system stability.(y)

So, the statements like: "The antivirus often freezes the system, takes many resources and is buggy" are true, but rarely have something to do with the real problem. To be sure, the user can install the fresh system and try the AV again. Then he/she will often see that the issues magically disappeared.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.