Advice Request I uninstalled Bitdefender TS - Heavy & Buggy. Money lost! - Is this normal?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

w2phoenix

Jun 23, 2018
After 26 hours of usage I uninstalled Bitdefender Internet Security 2019 as I nor the technical Support at Bitdefender were able to resolve the SSL scan issue that blocked all ssl websites including this one. I found Bitdefender engine to be good but the SSL scan was an Achilles heel as disabling the Secure Scan/SSL Scan made the Bitdefender display a Device At Risk message.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Bitdefender :( nothing but problems, i tried them for 3 months, and it kept beeing buggy.
I mailed them and they refunded my money, they somehow admitted its buggy.

Reactions: FrFc1908

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
Bitdefender :( nothing but problems, i tried them for 3 months, and it kept beeing buggy.

dit is wel heel erg triest! a company that somewhat admitts it has pushed out buggy software and saddling their paying customers up with it. I am speechless....

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
You should rather avoid such general statements, based on your individual single-event experience. General statements require some objective basis.
Every AV can be buggy for some users. Also, the new upcoming versions have usually more bugs. Most AV vendors refund the money if the AV does not work well on the consumer system. Some problems may be related to the special hardware or software configuration, some may be introduced by the consumer who uses more than one security software or changes the security several times.
Look at the post above yours - it is far more specific and less general (you even did not mention the Bitdefender version).
Be safe.(y)

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Tested BD IS for the last two days.
The program in certain cases is really buggy and the gui is beyond terrible. Protection is solid and the firewall is excellent.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Tested BD IS for the last two days.
The program in certain cases is really buggy and the gui is beyond terrible. Protection is solid and the firewall is excellent.
Thanks for testing and confirming the bugs. Are those bugs related to the security issues or they are the minor GUI bugs? Did you notice similar issues as @Brie in his initial post?

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
You should rather avoid such general statements, based on your individual single-event experience. General statements require some objective basis.
Every AV can be buggy for some users. Also, the new upcoming versions have usually more bugs. Most AV vendors refund the money if the AV does not work well on the consumer system. Some problems may be related to the special hardware or software configuration, some may be introduced by the consumer who uses more than one security software or changes the security several times.
Look at the post above yours - it is far more specific and less general (you even did not mention the Bitdefender version).
Be safe.(y)
My statement is not the only one, loads of users share this feeling. Even got an email saying they wil " try" to solve the known issue in a new release. So they know its buggy.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
My statement is not the only one, loads of users share this feeling. Even got an email saying they wil " try" to solve the known issue in a new release. So they know its buggy.
OK, I understand your frustration. But, it would be more interesting for the readers to share the information about what concrete issues you had and with what version (there are four different versions at least). Also, @Brie would be probably interested if you had similar issues as in his initial post.(y)
The single-event issue is usually not a bug. If many users report the same issue it can be a bug. If you post a general statement, then you will probably feel better, but that will not help to find out the real bugs.(n)

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@Brie,
Did you noticed those issues just after installing BTS, or also for a longer time?
It is important, because some AVs are very heavy just after installation - they can download updates, perform a full scan, and create a database of the scanned files. After this, they can be a lot lighter.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
OK, I understand your frustration. But, it would be more interesting for the readers to share the information about what concrete issues you had and with what version (there are four different versions at least). Also, @Brie would be probably interested if you had similar issues as in his initial post.(y)
The single-event issue is usually not a bug. If many users report the same issue it can be a bug. If you post a general statement, then you will probably feel better, but that will not help to find out the real bugs.(n)
I had Bitdefender Total Security 2018.
Buglist:
  1. Slowdowns on pc ( random )
  2. Program terminated itself
  3. Dropped VPN connections
  4. GUI laggy
  5. When starting Windows it failed to load and closed the internet connection.

It was all on a clean Windows 10 installation. ( i work in IT myself , so know what i was doing )
When my money was refunded, wiped the SSD, Installed Windows 10 again, together with another AV an no problems at all.
So i will never ever go back to Bitdefender.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Guys- Come on! It is not the bugs of such products that is the issue in protecting you but instead the base methodology of protection that is at fault! A product that lives and dies by signatures (and God Forbid if you think that the BD anti-ransomware protection is anything other than Words) will fail you in protection for anything currently pushed out.

You folks KNOW this. What you have to do is ACCEPT this! A revolution started by YOU is the only way that such products are elevated.

Brie

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
@Brie,
Did you noticed those issues just after installing BTS, or also for a longer time?
It is important, because some AVs are very heavy just after installation - they can download updates, perform a full scan, and create a database of the scanned files. After this, they can be a lot lighter.
it turned out that i had a bad installation of windows 10. even windows in the rescue
partition was bad.
i will try to edit my original post.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Thanks for testing and confirming the bugs. Are those bugs related to the security issues or they are the minor GUI bugs? Did you notice similar issues as @Brie in his initial post?
No the issues i had was a different kind of issues even though the ram usage was pretty high 400-600mb. Cpu usage was normal for such an antivirus and disk usage was ok.
Security is solid and better than most other software i tested especially when all are tested on default settings. The firewall is exceptional with a plethora of options.
The worse issue i got was everytime rollback rx would try to take a backup it would freeze the whole system but i can accept that and went ahead and whitelisted all rx stuff from every module. Nope still freezing the system with no notification and no error from bd. I don't mind things not working properly but i hate it when they don't tell me they are not working properly and what is at fault.
I had other small issues that were merely an annoyance but i couldn't keep trying something that freezes the whole system without an error msg or something. Honestly if it didn't have this issue bd would have been my go to antivirus.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Some issues noticed by @L0ckJaw (in BDTS 2018) are probably related to the installed VPN.
The main issue noticed by @SHvFl (in BDTS 2019?) may be related to incompatibility with the installed rollback software.
The issues noticed by @Brie were clarified by him (bad installation of Windows 10).
People installing the BDTS should be warned by the above issues and try first the trial BD version to see if it works well on their computer (this is also true for any AV).

Thanks, guys for answering my questions. (y)
I wander what could be the source of w2phoenix issues with SSL scan?

Last edited:

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Some issues noticed by @L0ckJaw (in BDTS 2018) are probably related to the installed VPN.
The main issue noticed by @SHvFl (in BDTS 2019?) may be related to incompatibility with the installed rollback software.
The issues noticed by @Brie were clarified by him (bad installation of Windows 10).
People installing the BDTS should be warned by the above issues and try first the trial BD version to see if it works well on their computer (this is also true for any AV).

Thanks, guys for answering my questions. (y)
I wander what could be the source of w2phoenix issues with SSL scan?
Absolutely nothing to do with the VPN, as i mentioned it was a clean install. Why do you keep defending Bitdefender as they admitted to me in the email conversation they have problems ? *fanboy ?

Reactions: oldschool

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Absolutely nothing to do with the VPN, as i mentioned it was a clean install. Why do you keep defending Bitdefender as they admitted to me in the email conversation they have problems ? *fanboy ?
You wrote:
"I had Bitdefender Total Security 2018.
Buglist:
  4. GUI laggy
  5. When starting Windows it failed to load and closed the internet connection."
I wrote : "Some issues noticed by @L0ckJaw (in BDTS 2018) are probably related to the installed VPN." and "People installing the BDTS should be warned by the above issues and try first the trial BD version to see if it works well on their computer (this is also true for any AV)."

Am I wrong, assuming that having dropped VPN connections, require installed VPN?
Do you think that pointing out the probable BDTS incompatibilities with other software is defending BDTS?
Do you think about yourself as a TROLL because, you did not specify your issues with BDTS in your first post, and named BD buggy?
Please calm down, and do not misuse the word "fanboy" (if you will read some of my posts you will understand).
You have been kind and answered my question (you are not trolling for sure). Your answer probably can help somebody. Your first post could help only you.(y)

Last edited:

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
You wrote:
"I had Bitdefender Total Security 2018.
Buglist:
  4. GUI laggy
  5. When starting Windows it failed to load and closed the internet connection."
I wrote : "Some issues noticed by @L0ckJaw (in BDTS 2018) are probably related to the installed VPN." and "People installing the BDTS should be warned by the above issues and try first the trial BD version to see if it works well on their computer (this is also true for any AV)."

Am I wrong, assuming that having dropped VPN connections, require installed VPN?
Do you think that pointing out the probable BDTS incompatibilities with other software is defending BDTS?
Do you think about yourself as a TROLL because, you did not specify your issues with BDTS in your first post, and named BD buggy?
Please calm down, and do not misuse the word "fanboy" (if you will read some of my posts you will understand).
You have been kind and answered my question (you are not trolling for sure). Your answer probably can help somebody. Your first post could help only you.(y)
Didnt mean trolling with Fanboy, you just ignore the line where i said the Admitted it to me ! And immediately refunded me after 3 months.

Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.