Advice Request i3-6100 vs i5-6500

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

TheBlue262

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 24, 2015
for every day and office, and photoshop an i3 dual core is fine, for high end gaming an i3 dual core is going to lead to much frustration

I don't know what to tell you. The monitor has 5ms and depending on game it will matter.
Now if you plan on upgrading gpu at some point and sticking with the cpu go with the i5 it will last you many years.
I'll get the i5-6500 then. Also, about overclocking, what is the cause of a cpu dying? Is it heat or is it the load that is put on it?

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I'll get the i5-6500 then. Also, about overclocking, what is the cause of a cpu dying? Is it heat or is it the load that is put on it?
It's the voltage that creates heat the heat. Heat can be dealt with a cpu cooler but voltage can't. Just don't add too much voltage and you are fine.
Btw i am not so sure about your psu. Did you find a review of it saying it's good because i am not so sure it is.

TheBlue262

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 24, 2015
It's the voltage that creates heat the heat. Heat can be dealt with a cpu cooler but voltage can't. Just don't add too much voltage and you are fine.
Btw i am not so sure about your psu. Did you find a review of it saying it's good because i am not so sure it is.
I bought the psu when it was on sale for $15. I didn't see any good reviews about it, I just saw the specs and it looked like it would work. What's wrong with it?

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I always go by the rule of thumb of getting the fastest CPU that I can afford. The i5 is great for gaming while I feel the i3 would be a bottleneck for some games. Depends on what you play, I play a lot of MMO's like WoW, BDO, GW2, WoT, so its more cpu intensive and having an i5 would help on those. Even with standalone games like Witcher 3, The cpu really helps with framerate.

I did an accidental test of cpu speed, was messing around with the overclocking of my cpu and forgot to set it back to original settings or save my settings and it locked itself at 1.5ghz, even with a GTX 970, i was getting 20-25 fps on BDO where i usually get over 80fps. Took me a while to figure out what was wrong until i check my cpu settings, once i had it back on stock configs, FPS went back to normal.

Its gets a lot more technical than I can explain about CPU its core, threading, etc... so I just get the best CPU i can afford :p

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
You cannot overclock i5-6500. You can overclock i5-6600 and above.
i5-6500 is 3.2Ghz clocked and its fixed to it.
He said he might be a cpu that overclock on his second reply. He is trying to see if it will be worth it and how to do it.

@TheBlue262 Usually when i can't find gpu reviews they are low end models that cut too many corners. Sure it may last you years but it might also not. If you already got it nothing you can do now i guess.
450W is more than enough with this gpu and cpu combo.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I already bought the psu but it is still in transit. Is 450W not enough for the pc?
Cancel and find a new good one. If it dies it might take all your hardware with it and then 500$ are gone.
PSU is the most important part for your pc to last.
Save money if it's needed for some time. Don't go cheap on the psu.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
It sounds like your just getting into the building of gaming systems, and relax I promise I am not making fun of you
or judging you, but a good place to start is Ebaay because they list the specs of the systems for sale, you look at ones
within your price range, maybe 15 to 20, take notes at whats in them, then start looking at individual components.

I did this maybe 10 yrs ago I had no one to show me the ropes ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I agree with @SHvFl , I read that you are getting a GTX 1050 and the recommended voltage for that card is between 300-350. PSU is most efficient at 50% load - "quote from Guru3D". Better safe than sorry and get at least an 800w to be safe.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I agree with @SHvFl , I read that you are getting a GTX 1050 and the recommended voltage for that card is between 300-350. PSU is most efficient at 50% load - "quote from Guru3D". Better safe than sorry and get at least an 800w to be safe.
Your right, and if he wants to run dual cards later for SLI, or upgrade he would be better off with a 1000W

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
He doesn't need 800. You don't need 800 with 2 gpu he has.
He has a 500$ budget and a quality psu for dual gpu is way way beyond his budget. 450W is fine if he will stick with this gpu. If he thinks he will ever go to the big gpu models(1080) he should get a 550w.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.