Advice Request i7 12700k

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
May get a Intel i7 12700k but wanted to make sure first it is safe with no security issues or anything ? I know that sounds stupid. I could go AMD too but not sure yet.

That or wait until next generation instead.

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
There's a lot of different things to consider, here's my take on it.

- Intel's new big/little platform is still very new and may be prone to bugs & instability. You'd somewhat be forced to use Windows 11, since its scheduler is better optimized for 12th gen processors than Windows 10 (unfortunately).
- I wouldn't get an AMD system quite yet since we've reached the end of the AM4 socket's lifespan. And chances are, if you wait about a year, AMD will come out with their own, possibly better value-oriented platform with a new chipset, CPU & DDR5 ram.
- The 12600k remains the best bang for your buck imo. If you don't do anything too stressful like edit & render videos, compile large amounts of code or do some sort of strenuous 3D work, 6 performance + 4 efficiency cores should be pretty darn good.

Long story short, if you don't absolutely need something right this moment, I'd wait and see what AMD have to offer next year. Chances are they'll give Intel a run for their money.

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
There's a lot of different things to consider, here's my take on it.

- Intel's new big/little platform is still very new and may be prone to bugs & instability. You'd somewhat be forced to use Windows 11, since its scheduler is better optimized for 12th gen processors than Windows 10 (unfortunately).
- I wouldn't get an AMD system quite yet since we've reached the end of the AM4 socket's lifespan. And chances are, if you wait about a year, AMD will come out with their own, possibly better value-oriented platform with a new chipset, CPU & DDR5 ram.
- The 12600k remains the best bang for your buck imo. If you don't do anything too stressful like edit & render videos, compile large amounts of code or do some sore or strenuous 3D work, 6 performance + 4 efficiency cores should be pretty darn good.

Long story short, if you don't absolutely need something right this moment, I'd wait and see what AMD have to offer next year. Chances are they'll give Intel a run for their money.

Thank you!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.