Troubleshoot iaStorA.sys Bug Check Code 0x1000007e

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Attached is the iaStoreA.sys error for you to view. Again, I am running Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

upload_2017-11-18_12-35-36.png

upload_2017-11-18_12-35-52.png

upload_2017-11-18_12-36-10.png

upload_2017-11-18_12-36-26.png

upload_2017-11-18_12-36-48.png

Current controller:
upload_2017-11-18_12-38-47.png

Current Intel(R) Managment Engine Interface:

upload_2017-11-18_12-46-49.png

This would be an IRST driver update and a Intel Managment Engine Interface update that would be needed - correct?

Here is what DUMO is saying:

upload_2017-11-18_12-49-10.png

I don't have DUMO pro, but I'm looking for these updates and coming up short. Usually, I can find stuff super fast and resolve issues, but not this time. I am also thinking there may be newer updates than what DUMO is reporting even.

This has me wondering a bit. All other builds up until this Windows 10 Home Fall Creators Update has been flawless. Checking for updates through Device Manager has not given me any luck either. Dell System Detect isn't detecting any newer updates either, but I don't think they post the latest on their website for my make/model anymore.

The iaStorA.sys Error.txt file was taken through BlueScreen View as I use this as a technician from time to time.

Would this be the latest for IRST for my given build? Downloads for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST)

Seems like it to me, but like I said I was a bit hesitant when doing a comparison to DUMO and the Intel website. However, I know DMO can be off in their versions a bit.

What have I used to scan my computer with: Kaspersky TDSSKiller, Malwarebytes, Norton Power Eraser, EEK and all came up clean.

Thanks for your help!

Brian

Attachments

• iaStorA.sys Error.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
Reactions: XhenEd and Vasudev

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
This looks to be the latest Intel Management Engine Interface as well: Download Intel® Management Engine Consumer Driver for Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i3SY, NUC6i5SY, NUC6i7KYK

I'm thinking this would be the correct one for my system too; however, DUMO is reporting the latest is 11.7.0.1045 when I run DUMO for my system. Thoughts?

All Windows updates are installed, SFC scannow didn't report any problems, check disk has gone through without any issues too. I don't believe it is RAM at all - I think it is more of a driver related issue. I can run a MEM test if we'd like to rule this out.

Luckily I have a paranoid amount of backups in place, but I'd like to get these drivers updated to see if this resolves the problem. However, I wanted to get your insight on this too before pressing on with the updates.

I heard from some that this could be an HDD issue too? My HDD is reporting in just fine with every test I throw at it.

Being that my computer is a Dell too I found this: Stop Error in IASTOR.SYS - KB Article - 311881 | Dell US

Any thoughts about any of the above material would be most helpful.

~Brian

Last edited:
Reactions: XhenEd
Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Attached is the iaStoreA.sys error for you to view. Again, I am running Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

Current controller:
View attachment 173851

Current Intel(R) Managment Engine Interface:

View attachment 173852

This would be an IRST driver update and a Intel Managment Engine Interface update that would be needed - correct?

Here is what DUMO is saying:

View attachment 173853

I don't have DUMO pro, but I'm looking for these updates and coming up short. Usually, I can find stuff super fast and resolve issues, but not this time. I am also thinking there may be newer updates than what DUMO is reporting even.

This has me wondering a bit. All other builds up until this Windows 10 Home Fall Creators Update has been flawless. Checking for updates through Device Manager has not given me any luck either. Dell System Detect isn't detecting any newer updates either, but I don't think they post the latest on their website for my make/model anymore.

The iaStorA.sys Error.txt file was taken through BlueScreen View as I use this as a technician from time to time.

Would this be the latest for IRST for my given build? Downloads for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST)

Seems like it to me, but like I said I was a bit hesitant when doing a comparison to DUMO and the Intel website. However, I know DMO can be off in their versions a bit.

What have I used to scan my computer with: Kaspersky TDSSKiller, Malwarebytes, Norton Power Eraser, EEK and all came up clean.

Thanks for your help!

Brian
No use updating Intel MEI because you need BIOS support from it as well. Incorrect driver version and ROM in BIOS can cause conflicts. Tell me your PC model, does it have haswell/broadwell CPU? Uninstall Dell system Detect and other Dell apps like Foundation, update. Leave Dell command center alone.
Update BIOS and please report back.

Upvote 0

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
@Vasudev indeed very true!

Here is my exact computer: Support for Inspiron 17R SE 7720
Service Tag:
G0B2WW1

Please see my system information in the spoiler that I had in my original post too. This provided a lot of stuff as well, but I can see that you wanted to confirm and or learn some more information.

Owners Manual: https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-17r-se-7720_owner's manual_en-us.pdf

CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40 GHz

BIOS is already updated to the latest releases as with every other piece of software for my product according to Dell unless you can spot another BIOS update that I may not be seeing.

If you want to look at my MSINFO32 let me know.

Any thoughts about this fix: Stop Error in IASTOR.SYS - KB Article - 311881 | Dell US

I have tried sfc /scannow, but no dice came back good. Thanks for asking @Emanuel Tomasin !

Thanks!

Brian

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 65228

Code:
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\111817-24390-01.dmp

Report the crash dump to the vendor and wait for response. Don't mess around and make things worse. Revert to an old version of Windows 10 until the issue is fixed.

Upvote 0

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Code:
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\111817-24390-01.dmp

Report the crash dump to the vendor and wait for response. Don't mess around and make things worse. Revert to an old version of Windows 10 until the issue is fixed.

@Opcode Will do! Thought it was peculiar! I'll report it to the Dell community support forums. Think I should also put a post out on Intel's website as a case?

Thanks for your insight as well.

Sincerely,

Brian

Upvote 0

@Opcode Will do! Thought it was peculiar! I'll report it to the Dell community support forums. Think I should also put a post out on Intel's website as a case?

Thanks for your insight as well.

Sincerely,

Brian

You aren't going to get any help from the Dell Community.

The .dmp has to be studied by someone who has the symbol files.

You can try Intel, but I doubt you will get any help there either.

Upvote 0

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I have contacted Intel directly in this case. My computer is currently out of warranty; therefore, Dell doesn't want to help without getting paid for it. Bummer for me, but I have confidence that Intel will help me out. Until then, I'm reverting my entire system back to the state prior to upgrading my machine to the Fall Creaters Update. This is without a doubt software related - in my humble opinion. Otherwise, the issue would have been present prior to the update as well.

Thanks for your help everyone. If anyone else has any advice please feel free to share. I'll keep you posted on what I hear from Intel now that I have a case created and everything.

All the more reason to have backups! Keep this in mind folks!

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 65228

This is without a doubt software related - in my humble opinion. Otherwise, the issue would have been present prior to the update as well.
The Windows Fall Creators Update hasn't been out for too long yet, it is likely a compatibility issue. Wait and see if Intel release any updates for the device driver being flagged as causing the problem for the crashes, and try to let them know there is an issue and submit the crash dump if you can find a way to do so. Re-update when the issue is solved. That is all you can really do.

Upvote 0

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
This type of error refers to an incompatibility of the graphics card on your computer, to solve these types of cases, we suggest you enter Control Panel, Hardware Manager, and disable the graphics card.

Upvote 0

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I'm waiting to hear back from Intel on everything. They aren't open 24/7 for consumers, but their enterprise division is. Luckily I created a case for them to transfer it to their consumer division. Thank you all for the help thus far. So far nothing has worked - its gotta be a driver though.

@Emanuel Tomasin this is one of my initial thoughts too. I tried this as well, but no such luck. Thanks for asking though! I appreciate it. If you and or anyone else can think of anything else it would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Brian

Upvote 0

Anubis

Level 1
Verified
Apr 7, 2017
Is your BIOS updated? And if so, after the latest BIOS update (or after you experienced this error following the upgrade to Fall Creators) did you change any settings under AHCIP/Raid section in the BIOS? Any such changes usually trigger a BSOD if Windows is already installed. You can try changing to Raid or AHCIP to double check which setting triggers the BSOD at boot and which one does not. Also, don't rule out a Trojan infection right away, and run a tdskiller in safe mode to just to make sure.

When it comes to Dell drivers and Windows 10 inducing errors or drivers not installing correctly, sometimes I have had to force install the Windows 7 version (or 10 if available) of the driver from Dell support section for that system, which for some reason provided better stability/compatibility. Also, you may want to try with Intel's own AHCI Controller driver > Support for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST).

You could also try running the command DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth as administrator.

Edit: almost forgot, if none of the suggestions above seem to make any difference, you could try with a Windows 10 Fall Creators update in-place upgrade.

Upvote 0

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Status update:
Working with an agent who works for Dell and supports the Dell Community! Making some headway here. Intel is looking everything over for me in their support forms as well.

It all has to do with IRST - which is good and bad news. @Anubis I may end up doing exactly what you said. I'll probably have to uninstall everything and reinstall to see if it works out.

Thanks! I will keep all of you posted. Crazy drivers...

~Brian

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
@Vasudev indeed very true!

Here is my exact computer: Support for Inspiron 17R SE 7720
Service Tag:
G0B2WW1

Please see my system information in the spoiler that I had in my original post too. This provided a lot of stuff as well, but I can see that you wanted to confirm and or learn some more information.

Owners Manual: https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-17r-se-7720_owner's manual_en-us.pdf

CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40 GHz

BIOS is already updated to the latest releases as with every other piece of software for my product according to Dell unless you can spot another BIOS update that I may not be seeing.

If you want to look at my MSINFO32 let me know.

Any thoughts about this fix: Stop Error in IASTOR.SYS - KB Article - 311881 | Dell US

I have tried sfc /scannow, but no dice came back good. Thanks for asking @Emanuel Tomasin !

Thanks!

Brian
Please remove the service Tag. Only model number was enough. I believe this is the exact PC Review Dell Inspiron 17R-SE-7720 Notebook
Select 12.9 or 13.6 drivers IRST Download Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST)
Use driver store explorer to nuke older drivers from INF clogging or causing issues

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.