Ibrads Security Setup

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
From time to time it might be worth doing some on-demand scans with other products like Malwarebytes free and Hitman Pro (free) just to see if your active protection missed something. Note: You can scan with the free version of Hitman pro for as long as you wish, however if you use it to remove malware it will enter a 30 day trial period. If you want to keep it free, use it as the last scanner and if it finds something serious (besides tracking cookies) you could try removing the file yourself or ask for assistance.

If you find yourself wondering if a site is safe or not you could add Web of Trust, a Firefox plugin that will show you ratings for the sites you are about to visit. Note: ratings are generated by the community and sometimes non-malicious sites get a poor rating too.
LastPass is another Firefox plugin that I recommend. It helps you generate and store passwords is a secure manner.

In the end, no security is bullet proof. It is worth backing up your system partition to an external HDD using a drive imaging program like Paragon Backup and Recovery (Advanced) Free. Another great free option is Acronis True Image WD Edition (Free) but is only works if you have a Western Digital HDD.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
bogdan said:
From time to time it might be worth doing some on-demand scans with other products like Malwarebytes free and Hitman Pro (free) just to see if your active protection missed something. Note: You can scan with the free version of Hitman pro for as long as you wish, however if you use it to remove malware it will enter a 30 day trial period. If you want to keep it free, use it as the last scanner and if it finds something serious (besides tracking cookies) you could try removing the file yourself or ask for assistance.

If you find yourself wondering if a site is safe or not you could add Web of Trust, a Firefox plugin that will show you ratings for the sites you are about to visit. Note: ratings are generated by the community and sometimes non-malicious sites get a poor rating too.
LastPass is another Firefox plugin that I recommend. It helps you generate and store passwords is a secure manner.

In the end, no security is bullet proof. It is worth backing up your system partition to an external HDD using a drive imaging program like Paragon Backup and Recovery (Advanced) Free. Another great free option is Acronis True Image WD Edition (Free) but is only works if you have a Western Digital HDD.
Links:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You can add the following

EMET
You can add Sandboxie or Bufferzone PRO since your in 32 bit system
And in firefox plugin add browser protect

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
jamescv7 said:
You can add the following

EMET
You can add Sandboxie or Bufferzone PRO since your in 32 bit system
And in firefox plugin add browser protect
Links:
I would also like to add to the above list with:
Remember to only use either SandboxIE, Bufferzone Pro or GeSWall. You cannot run any two of these together at the same time.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
I am surprised Panda cloud and Counterspy play nice together. I personally would replace Counterpsy witih something like Malwarebytes Pro version (with realtime protection). You pay once and get a lifetime licence.

Ibrad

Thread author
Apr 29, 2011
Hey everyone,

I forget to add I do have SuperAntiSpyware installed and I do run on-demand scams every once in a while. I do have the Pro version but I shut off the real time protection and updates when I replaced it with CounterSpy.

My other older laptop has MBAM PRO installed but no real time because it slowed down the machine to much. My oldest desktop has HitManPro installed and it scans at every boot. It can not clean anything at all though because I have already used the free trial to clean up a TDL3 infection.

I do install MBAM every once in a while on all the machines to do a scan when I do a system cleanup.

I do have a backup plan in place but I don't use backup software. My internet is slow so if its a large program I don't normally download unless I have lots of free time. I backup all my personal stuff to a USB drive manually to keep it safe.

I have been looking into sandbox like software. GeSwall looks nice but I think it would confuse my family and I have not seen many updates for it recently. I really like DefenseWall but I don't have the extra cash at the moment to buy a license.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Ibrad said:
I have been looking into sandbox like software. GeSwall looks nice but I think it would confuse my family and I have not seen many updates for it recently.

You can try Sandboxie there.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Hey and warm welcome

May I ask in which way you security risk is at medium and you computer knowledge at beginner? I ask because I a forums mod usually has high computer knowledge (in my eyes at least).

According how you answer I will be able to give you tips :)

btw welcome and I hope you will like it here :)

Take care

Regards,
Valentin N

Ibrad

Thread author
Apr 29, 2011
Well that was an accident I guess :( I am way far away from beginner. Beginners would not be a mod, run a security blog, or be going through malware removal training. I fixed it though :D

(Note to self: Don't join forums and fill out info when you are tired)

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
The backup software I was mentioning can save an image of your system partition on an external HDD for example (or on another partition, but this won't help you in the case your HDD breaks or partitions are affected by malware). I find it much easier and allot faster to restore a recent image backup than to do a format + install. The image already contains all the drivers, the updates and the software I use. It also helps in case you get infected by something serios (like the TDL3 rootkit).

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I agree with Bogdan. MBAM and HitMan Pro are crucial. Even if you use HitMan Pro as a scan only application, it will reveal the true threats in about 3 or 4 minutes and MBAM will clean them up. If you have a good AV it will take care of the rest.

Some type of Sandbox will button you up and complement MBAM and HitMan Pro.

Create System Restore Points once every couple of weeks.

TDSS Killer by Kaspersky might come in handy as well. http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.