ICE removal problems

realrock

Thread author
Mar 28, 2014
Hello, I have been trying to remove ICE scam from a Dell Dimension 2400 (Win XP) using the three methods described on your site. I cannot get the command prompt and the machine will not boot from usb. The bootable cd only boots if I enter setup and disable boot from the floppy and hard drive. After this the CD will boot but when the scan is run it quits at 65% (scan dialog window disappears). At one point when restarting, the CD program found 3 threats which it removed. This still does not solve the ICE problem and the program quits the scan again at 65%.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Hi,

Please print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing
  • Download OTLPENet.exe to your desktop
  • Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
  • Ensure that you have a blank CD in the drive
  • Double click OTLPENet.exe and this will then open imgburn to burn the file to CD
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • Wait for the CD to detect your hardware and load the operating system
  • Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop
    Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy
  • Insert the USB with FRST
  • Locate the flash drive with FRST and double click
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

realrock

Thread author
Mar 28, 2014
Hello,
Thank you.
Here is what happened while following the instructions.

Farbar Recovery Scan Tool error message - not a valid win32 program

So instead I accessed the HitmanPro Usb via the Reatogo desktop.
This is what happened, HitmanPro runtime error message - hitmanpro.exe abnormal program termination visual c++ runtime library.
Program was running behind the error message but closed when I clicked okay. Reopened the program, did not click okay and it ran until it said classifying 108% and then seemed to stall. Clicked okay and the program closed. HitmanPro 3.7.9 build 216*

realrock

Thread author
Mar 28, 2014
Hello,
Thank you for your help.
Here is what has happened:
I was able to burn and access OTLPE
I checked on the FRST version that I downloaded. Your link was a direct download to the 32 bit, which I needed. I think the download may not have gone correctly for these reasons; slow response on my laptop and download direct to usb. So I went back to the base url on your link, searched for Farbar and downloaded to the hard drive and copied to the usb. Went back to the troubled computer and it worked. Ran the scan and got the text file. Now what?

base url of Farbar download
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

Attachments

• FRST.txt
    19.6 KB · Views: 84

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Download attached fixlist.txt on the same location as FRST (otherwise the fix won't work)
NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to the operating system

Open FRST, and click Fix. Attach me that report after it is finished.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    2.5 KB · Views: 62

realrock

Thread author
Mar 28, 2014
Hello, No I had not until I saw your post. So I rebooted and we have won. Say goodbye to that scam/virus. Thank you for the assistance.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.