Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Apple will warn users via push notifications when someone tries to add a new device to their account, restore data, or change a password.

Apple CEO Tim Cook told The Wall Street Journal the changes will be coming in two weeks' time and users will be able to respond by changing their password or alerting Apple to a possible breach.

The move comes after several high profile celebrities had their iCloud accounts compromised and intimate photos leaked online. Despite claims the cloud-storage service had been compromised via brute-force hacking, Cook confirmed the two alternative theories put forward by security researchers: that at least some victims fell for phishing scams, leading them to hand over their username and password unwittingly, or their passwords had been reset by answering security questions.

In addition to push notifications to the user's iPhone or iPad, Apple will also be putting greater emphasis on two-factor authentication, which the majority of users don't use.

Cook said it will be more aggressively turned on in iOS 8, which is expected to launch in the coming weeks, and it will be incorporated into services where it is currently absent.

"When I step back from this terrible scenario that happened and say what more could we have done, I think about the awareness piece," Cook told The WSJ.

"I think we have a responsibility to ratchet that up. That's not really an engineering thing," he added.

Full Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.