Icy's laptop configuration

Icy

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 10, 2014
I'm getting my laptop in 2days so I thought I should get everything ready :)
Real-time protection:
Anti-virus: Windows defender
Firewall: Windows firewall

On-demand scanners:
Hitmanpro

Backup:
File history (daily) - stored on an external HDD and another partition
MEGA - Copy - Google drive - Onedrive - Dropbox

Virtualization:
Sandboxie (suspicious files)

Browsers and add-ons:
1- Google chrome:
Extensions:

-ABP (Easylist - Easyprivacy - Fanboy's annoyances - Malware domains)
-Zenmate
-Lastpass

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Is that IObit Uninstaller, v2.x?

Reactions: Icy

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
FYI: IObit Uninstaller v3 is not a Portable application. It silently installs into the Program Files and runs a background service/process called LiveUpdate. It also promotes it's other products and news. Removing/uninstalling the product is a messy process.

An alternate I can recommend Wise Program Uninstaller, which can be either installed or used as portable.
http://malwaretips.com/threads/wise-program-uninstaller.10112/

Icy

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 10, 2014
Should I keep using windows defender? I'm going to use this laptop solely for multimedia and university related work (I'm going to university in a few months) so I don't need "absolute" performance since I don't even play games. The laptop also boasts a 4th generation processor.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.