id80's Security Setup

id80

Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
Aside those mentioned above, I configured EMET.
DEP : Opt Out
SEHOP : Always On
ASLR : Opt In
for system wide.
Also applied per process configuration for important or incompatible processes.

As for Firefox, Google Safe Browsing is disabled because I use Malwarebytes' IP Blocking function and Outpost's Spysite Blocking.
Also, Outpost's Web Control to block VB script and ActiveX scripting, while Java applet launching is prompted.
Of course, Firefox is always ran under Sandboxie's supervision.

For backup purpose, I use Keriver 1-Click Restore Free to manually take snapshot (usually) 2~4 times a week.

Lastly, while I don't know this is related to security, boot loader is GRUB2.

D

Deleted member 178

Good config, Why not enabling the RT AV module of MBAM? since you run the service, better use it totally.

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
Why not use MBAM pro's real time scanner like Umbra Corp. (still trying to get used to that name change) said?
For another add on for Firefox I would recommend Bitdefender TrafficLight.
For On-Demand scanners I recommend Emsisoft Emergency Kit, or Hitman Pro.
Other than that Nice Set-up.

P

Plexx

Outpost firewall is a good option and it is interesting to know why you don't use the full suite. Any comments on that?

Also, are you dual booting with another OS? And for how long you have been using the boot loader? If I am not mistaken, version 2 was only released a few months ago or so...

D

Deleted member 178

Malware Maniac said:
Umbra Corp. (still trying to get used to that name change)?

Just say "Umbra" like 99% of the forum ^^

id80

Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
Thank you for quick replies.

I choose Vipre because I thought it had good detection rate against malware.
Therefore I disabled MBAM's file execution protection to avoid redundancy.

But yeah, mbamservices.exe uses CPU when I launch a process, even though I had the file execution protection turned off...
And in reality, enabling the execution protection doesn't seem to cause any noticeable slow down.
I merely wanted to avoid redundancy and possible problem with Vipre.

As you two recommend it to be turned on, I will enable it for a while to see it will work well with Vipre or not.
As for additional ondemand scan, I will test Hitman Pro as the product seems like highly regarded by many people.

As for TrafficLight, I used to use it while back.
But removed it due to a noticeable slowdown caused by the addon.

Thank you for feedback!

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
id80 said:
As for additional ondemand scan, I will test Hitman Pro as the product seems like highly regarded by many people.

Just a note HMP is a paid product that comes with a free trial.

id80

Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
Biozfear said:
Outpost firewall is a good option and it is interesting to know why you don't use the full suite.
Yes, I'm very satisfied with Outpost Firewall Pro.
And there is a reason for not using Agnitum's full suite.
Firewall Pro is lifetime license!
As AV only products can be obtained for a cheap price, it's cheaper to go for [Outpost Firewall(lifetime license) + AV from other company] than Agnitum's full suite. (in three or four years span)

As for GRUB, I believe most distributions already use a version2 in some time.
At least Debian(which I'm dual booting with Windows) has been using GRUB2 as a default for a while.

D

Deleted member 178

id80 said:
Thank you for quick replies.

I choose Vipre because I thought it had good detection rate against malware.

That is a good choice.

Therefore I disabled MBAM's file execution protection to avoid redundancy.

But yeah, mbamservices.exe uses CPU when I launch a process, even though I had the file execution protection turned off...
And in reality, enabling the execution protection doesn't seem to cause any noticeable slow down.
I merely wanted to avoid redundancy and possible problem with Vipre.

MBAM services uses around 30+mb working set of RAM and doesn't slowdown the system so much.

MBAM is what we call a "Companion AV" means it is designed to be run alongside another AV , adding a second layer of defense against malwares (in the case of MBAM, the developers actively recommend to use it with another one).

As you two recommend it to be turned on, I will enable it for a while to see it will work well with Vipre or not.

see my comment above.

free for scan, but if you activate the removal (after the scan result), it become a 30-days trial.

As for TrafficLight, I used to use it while back.
But removed it due to a noticeable slowdown caused by the addon.

lately i observed it too.

id80

Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
Malware Maniac said:
Sad. I have always thought it was a free of charge product... :(

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
id80 said:
Malware Maniac said:
Sad. I have always thought it was a free of charge product... :(

Well a program that scans with five other paid products engines will likely not be free but it is US$20 for a 1 year license for 1 computer. Here is the link for HMP http://www.surfright.nl/en/home/

P

Plexx

If you want a good detection rate, Avira can be good for you.
GFI VIPRE is good however there are a few shortcomings.

D

Deleted member 178

my favorite free AV/suite of the moment (in order) : Comodo IS :p , Panda Cloud AV, Avira,

my favorite paid AV/suite of the moment (in order) : Emsisoft AM :p , ESET

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
The thing that I could suggest is that you could add Adblock Plus to Firefox, apart from that it looks quite good.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
except for your operating system VISTA i like your setup
Any plans to upgrade to Win7 or Win8 ?
How is Keriver backup ? have you ever tried restoring using Keriver ?
Thanks

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
loveboy_lion said:
except for your operating system VISTA i like your setup
Any plans to upgrade to Win7 or Win8 ?
How is Keriver backup ? have you ever tried restoring using Keriver ?
Thanks

Vista's not that bad, just after the SP2 update everything was fine.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.