IE 10 Ram usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

KelvinW4

Level 1
Thread author
May 8, 2012
I have been using IE10, while it is reasonably fast, I see that it has been using 2GB to 4GB memory, with 1-3 tabs open.
Memory leak?

firestr001

Level 2
Jul 22, 2012
for just 2-3 tabs 2-4gb of ram????????? I have IE 10 and with 2gb ram on my win8 pc but it goes smoothly.Without any problem.

I dont use IE much though always a firefox user :D

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
KelvinW4 said:
I have been using IE10, while it is reasonably fast, I see that it has been using 2GB to 4GB memory, with 1-3 tabs open.
Memory leak?

Did you try to resetting Internet Explorer to its default settings?
1) Open Internet Explorer
2) Click on the settings icon (gear icon) and select Internet options.
ie-internet-options.jpg

3) Go to the Advanced tab and click on the Reset button
4) Select "Delete personal settings"
ie-default-settings.jpg

5) Click the Reset button to confirm the reset.
6) Restart your browser.

Next, you can try to run the sfc /scannow command. The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

1.Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
2. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow

KelvinW4

Level 1
Thread author
May 8, 2012
Firestr001 yeah it's crazy........
Current hovering above 1 GB with 3 tabs open...
All the steps were done in order.
EDIT:1.6 GB now.

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
huh that's weird......I have 5 tabs open right now and its using only 330 MB memory.......

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Disable all of IE add-ons and then restart IE.

The problem is most likely caused by a corrupted add-on trying to load itself into your computer's memory.

Thanks.:D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Littlebits said:
Disable all of IE add-ons and then restart IE.

The problem is most likely caused by a corrupted add-on trying to load itself into your computer's memory.

That would be the thing that I would've tried first.

KelvinW4

Level 1
Thread author
May 8, 2012
Ok guys, I have pinpointed the culprit. It seems every time I load some flash content, ram use spikes, but not any other usage. Adobe shockwave? What can I do now?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You could Enable ActiveX Filtering, as explained in the link.

adDGLzP.png

For sites that require ActiveX controls (ie. Flash-enabled sites), you can Turn off filtering for that one site.

rennT6u.png

You can also use Tracking Lists to disable any unwanted Ads, when you turn off ActiveX filtering with Flash-based Ads (ie. Youtube).

Let me know what you think of this? Good or bad?

Edit: Tested IE10 on youtube.com (1 tab) uses about 100mb (15% cpu), no other extensions except Flash Player

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You can, by Turning off ActiveX for those in particular sites. I believe you've realised Flash Player is the culprit for the heavy resources. Have you tried using another web browser?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Which antivirus are you using? some are known to cause problems with flash player if they include a real-time web guard.

What other add-ons do you have installed?

KelvinW4

Level 1
Thread author
May 8, 2012
No antivirus, just re-installed machine same problem.
It's shockwave that causes it. Memory use multiplies quickly once I start some flash based content.
@Earth
I'm just want to try IE for some time you know? Other browser work just fine! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.