IE10 Most Secure Windows 8 Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

samit

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
During the testing period, Internet Explorer 10 with App Rep had a mean malware block rate of 99.1%, with App Rep adding 10.6% percent to the 88.5% URL reputation blocking achieved by the browser. Chrome with Google’s Malicious Download Protection had a mean block rate of 70.4%. However, only 4.5% of the blocked malware was based upon URL reputation; Google’s Malicious Download Protection provided 65.8% additional protection. Firefox and Safari, which have no download protection, were only able to block 4.2% and 4.3% of the malware respectively.

2012_Browser_SEM.png

Source: https://www.nsslabs.com/reports/browser-security-comparative-analysis-socially-engineered-malware

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Wow , I'm not a big IE fan except when using proxies but this should give people a reason to think.As long as this quote "Download this unsponsored and independent report to see the full results" is truly unbiased.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
The question is why not Internet Explorer? It's good in many ways.

samit

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
The results reflect the ranking of the previously released report in August of 2011 and found Internet Explorer (version 10) to be the safest browser in this discipline under Windows 8. NSS Labs said that IE10 blocked 99.1 percent of the malware it was exposed to (virtually dead-even with the 99.2 percent result from August of last year), but Chrome improved its 13.2 percent result to 70.4 percent due to the integration of enhanced file-based reputation screening.

NSS Labs said that the evaluation was not sponsored and was based on 91,000 test cases conducted in September 2012.

source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ie10-firefox-chrome-safari-secure-browser,18719.html

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
About IE10 too here: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-VUPEN-Researchers-Say-They-Defeated-Windows-8-Security

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Doesn't feel like Chrome and lacks quality features of other browsers.

McLovin said:
The question is why not Internet Explorer? It's good in many ways.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Okay that I can agree with, flash built-in (as far as I know), built in Translator and built-in PDF reader.

Earth said:
Doesn't feel like Chrome and lacks quality features of other browsers.

james.salazar2010

Nov 23, 2012
wow! amazing improvement for the internet explorer. But since im a firefox user, since birth (^_^), i think the result would be different if they will put some add on protection like wot for firefox...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Is Flash Player fully sandboxed in IE10?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
During the testing period, Internet Explorer 10 with App Rep had a mean malware block rate of 99.1%, with App Rep adding 10.6% percent to the 88.5% URL reputation blocking achieved by the browser. Chrome with Google’s Malicious Download Protection had a mean block rate of 70.4%.

*Cough* paid study *cough* PS. We also want to see Windows 8 is safer than Windows 7. Upgrade,upgrade,upgrade! ;)

I've used all the browser and I can safely say that Chrome offers the best malware protection when it comes to the real world.
While Internet Explorer 9 and 10 offer a good protection, they offer also a lot of false positive detections.
EG: RogueKiller - a tool used for malware removal:
Downloading result on Internet Explore 10 :
[attachment=2772]
Downloading result on Google Chrome:
[attachment=2773]
I don't know what Google did..but Chrome will detect phishing urls or web pages who have malicious code injected in them, before everybody else... The heuristic detection is great in Chrome.

Attachments

• ie10-fp.jpg
    ie10-fp.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 510
  • chrome-roguekiller.jpg
    chrome-roguekiller.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 500

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Jack said:
I've used all the browser and I can safely say that Chrome offers the best malware protection when it comes to the real world.
Jack,
Did you ever try recent Comodo Dragon.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
NSG001 said:
Jack said:
Jack,
Did you ever try recent Comodo Dragon.

No,but isn't that a Chrome build + Comodo DNS ... Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.