Advice Request If you switch to Bitwarden, upgrade to Premium!

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Long time LastPass Free users will overlook the security benefits of data leak services.

Time to think up some lame excuses about how you can use free services instead. Right? Wrong.

Following the Changes to LastPass Free (separate thread).

I went for 1Password's free trial, and with Watchtower I discovered a lot about my passwords and sites for these reasons:
  • LP made Free features into Premium plans years ago and therefore never notified.
  • LP allows saving unsecured websites without any post-warnings for Free users (ie. http://* instead of https://*)
A 14-day free trial is plenty of time to decide and get used to their apps.

Going to Bitwarden...?​

If you are switching from LastPass Free to Bitwarden, I recommend upgrading to their Premium plan which includes Vault Health Reports.

By the looks of it, it's similar to Watchtower and it is only $1 per month, or $10 per year.

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
Got to know about Bitwarden on MWT and have been a subscriber since the past few years now, probably 2017/18. At $10/year it's worth the money paid. Yeah it doesn't have all the gimmicks other PMs do like VPNs etc but heck this one does a fine job as a PM and for your secure notes.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Long time LastPass Free users will overlook the security benefits of data leak services.

Time to think up some lame excuses about how you can use free services instead. Right? Wrong.

Following the Changes to LastPass Free (separate thread).

I went for 1Password's free trial, and with Watchtower I discovered a lot about my passwords and sites for these reasons:
  • LP made Free features into Premium plans years ago and therefore never notified.
  • LP allows saving unsecured websites without any post-warnings for Free users (ie. http://* instead of https://*)
A 14-day free trial is plenty of time to decide and get used to their apps.

Going to Bitwarden...?​

If you are switching from LastPass Free to Bitwarden, I recommend upgrading to their Premium plan which includes Vault Health Reports.

By the looks of it, it's similar to Watchtower and it is only $1 per month, or $10 per year.

The only concern I would have about Watchtower and Vault Health is how they work.

For example, are they automatically sending all of your passwords (unencrypted) to a site like haveIbeenpwnd for checking ?
Even if this isn't the case wouldn't they need to decrypt your passwords on their own servers in order to check against a database ?

If so, doesn't this represent something of a security risk ?

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The only concern I would have about Watchtower and Vault Health is how they work.

For example, are they automatically sending all of your passwords (unencrypted) to a site like haveIbeenpwnd for checking ?
Even if this isn't the case wouldn't they need to decrypt your passwords on their own servers in order to check against a database ?

If so, doesn't this represent something of a security risk ?
They do not, all checks are done locally.

Yes, there is a small risk IF you re-use similar passwords. Go to "Your passwords are never sent to us or anyone else" from the link below.

As explained here: About Watchtower privacy in 1Password

1614865956060.png

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Anyone can also easily use this password feature without 1Password at all.
It simple use Haveibeenpwned which is free for anyone.

They provide also RSS feed with all new leaks which I use.
Free but not efficient for the average Internet user.

Bitwarden Premium, 1Password (and others) offer this as a premium service for making your life easier.

If you use Bitwarden, consider upgrading to Premium, plus added benefits.

Eggnog

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 21, 2018
I'm testing 1Password and BitWarden at the same time. I just started the 14-day 1Password trial and am using the free BitWarden for the time being. I'll probably have a good idea by next weekend which I will choose. Right now, 1Password looks pretty slick but I am going to check both out.

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
I'm testing 1Password and BitWarden at the same time. I just started the 14-day 1Password trial and am using the free BitWarden for the time being. I'll probably have a good idea by next weekend which I will choose. Right now, 1Password looks pretty slick but I am going to check both out.
Hi @Eggnog
And what was your choice ?

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
I have been using Bitwarden Premium for 2 years and my subscription is ending soon.
Before renewing it, I'm wondering if it is still a good choice or if there are currently better choices.:unsure:

Reactions: Jonny Quest

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Hello,
I have been using Bitwarden Premium for 2 years and my subscription is ending soon.
Before renewing it, I'm wondering if it is still a good choice or if there are currently better choices.:unsure:
If it works for you then just stay with BW.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Is BW still secure ?
Of course. What makes you think that it might not be secure?
BW is a very solid option and $10/year is is a very, very good price.
If you want to spend more, then 1Password might be interesting for you since they offer higher level of account security than BW: About the 1Password security model
Anyway, like I've said before - if you are happy with Bitwarden and if it works for you then just stay with it ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.