ifacedown's Security Config

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Hello.

So far Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 isn't light (yet no so heavy) on my system -- and I am running a trial version! I would like to have an AV that would be light on my system - I have a low-end computer. The Webroot license I was using expired a few months ago.

Once I have another light AV, then I would use my VoodooShield Premium license.

Please don't suggest Panda, ESET NOD32/SS, or Avast.

Thanks!

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
A very good suggestion right there, it would work well. :)
Thanks! My only problem with WD is that it causes lags when it scans exes like: 1) Downloading EXES 2) Opening a folder with EXES. Is there a way I could change WD's bahavior to only scan EXEs when executed? thanks

this shouldn't happens
Thanks, indeed true.

I just want to clarify though that I was only executing malwares from the malware hub some months ago with Shadow Defender Shadow Mode enabled. Maybe I need to edit my Security Config but there is no "Edit Thread", only "Unfollow Thread".

Last edited by a moderator:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Maybe I need to edit my Security Config but there is no "Edit Thread", only "Unfollow Thread".
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.08.11_11h31m03s_001_.png

Agree with @Umbra never on the host.There are only a couple safe ways to test malware and these should be followed.
I am using KIS 2017 and I find it to be much lighter than 2016.Much,much better than pre 2016 versions.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Never use malware on your host it can end up ruining the computer. Other than that good config. :)

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
View attachment 111391

Agree with @Umbra never on the host.There are only a couple safe ways to test malware and these should be followed.
I am using KIS 2017 and I find it to be much lighter than 2016.Much,much better than pre 2016 versions.
Hello! Yes, even my low-end netbook can tolerate KIS 2017, especially after doing a full scan, it furrher lightens up. I must admit that one thing that makes me stick to KIS2017 is that its Parental Control suites me well, as a tool to discipline myself... Coz I am the only one who uses this machine.

FrankS

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
View attachment 111391

As I tested KAV 2017 with HMP.Alert on my virtual machine against the petya ransomware I got the feeling that KAV 2017 is a bit buggy compared to KAV 2016. e.g. the realtime antivirus-scanning of kaspersky was disabled and kaspersky shows the windows notification "protection enabled".
In Germany KAV 2017 isn't yet available - maybe because of testing result by the german kaspersky employee? Also the Update from 16.0.0.614 to 16.0.1.445 came months later as on the english Kaspersky-Website.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
As I tested KAV 2017 with HMP.Alert on my virtual machine against the petya ransomware I got the feeling that KAV 2017 is a bit buggy compared to KAV 2016. e.g. the realtime antivirus-scanning of kaspersky was disabled and kaspersky shows the windows notification "protection enabled".
In Germany KAV 2017 isn't yet available - maybe because of testing result by the german kaspersky employee? Also the Update from 16.0.0.614 to 16.0.1.445 came months later as on the english Kaspersky-Website.
yes kaspersky 2017 is not yet 100% stable but it is very light and powerful => promising

FrankS

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
yes kaspersky 2017 is not yet 100% stable but it is very light and powerful => promising
Yeah that's indeed right. Also the "Secure Connection" disturbs me a bit. I don't need it cause my Router is already connected to a VPN-Server. I already contacted the german Kaspersky-Support for improvement of the install wizard. A customizable installation would be nice, where you can uncheck the installation of some unneeded tools.

Reactions: DardiM

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.