ESET Internet Security
Malwarebytes Premium
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
HitmanPro
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Google Chrome (latest version, 64 bits) with Windows Defender Browser Protection
Mozilla Firefox (latest version, 64 bits)
Maintenance tools
None
File and Photo backup
Manual backup on external HDD
System recovery
None
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
HP Pavilion Gaming
Intel i5-9400F
Nvidia GTX 1060
16gb RAM
256gb SSD + 1tb HDD
Wifi, bluetooth, HDMI, DVD player/recorder

IkariGradius

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 17, 2019
(re-posted again as my previous post was deleted as my account was wrongfully marked as spam, see my introduction post to know more)

So this is my setup, nothing fancy and pretty much sticking to the basics with the traditional brands. Should i be the only using the computer, i would probably be using a different security setup, however as my wife and son are also using our 3 computers, i need a "fully automated" approach to security with minimum user dependent interaction, so i tried to find a good balance between ease of use and protection.

I've also educated my family on online safety, so they know how to to surf safely (they're no IT engineer either lol)

I tend to change softwares sometimes, so i'll update this post when i do.

Thanks for reading me and tell me what you think :cool:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@IkariGradius:
  • Please specify the exact version number of Norton and MWB.
  • Probably You don't need MWB resident in real-time with Norton.
Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing Your config :giggle:

IkariGradius

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 17, 2019
@IkariGradius:
  • Please specify the exact version number of Norton and MWB.
  • Probably You don't need MWB resident in real-time with Norton.
Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing Your config :giggle:

Thanks a lot for your response,

I'm using Norton Security Premium 22.16.3.21 and Malwarebytes 3.6.1 (components v1.0.519), but i usually say "latest version" as i felt it was more relevant since softs updates so often. Should i include the version number on my post as well ?

As for the realtime protection of Malwarebytes i know it's overkill, but it definitely is excellent at stopping PUA and unwanted websites. I did the exclusions for Norton and Malwarebytes as otherwise it will conflict at some point.

Thanks again ;)

@stefanos @Gandalf_The_Grey

I know Malwarebytes is overkill, but i love how it stops threats that are usually missed by traditional AV (PUA or suspicious websites), and it works well enough once i set the exclusions.

As for uBlock Origin you guys are right, it is indeed better and i was using it, but a month ago it started breaking some websites (it was a know problem at the time). I guess the problem has been fixed now so i'll give it a try as it's definitely lighter and more efficient.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions ;)

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I know Malwarebytes is overkill, but i love how it stops threats that are usually missed by traditional AV (PUA or suspicious websites), and it works well enough once i set the exclusions.

You may want to try Malwarebytes Browser Extension instead of Malwarebytes Premium, it's similar in terms of protection against suspicious/malicious websites & PUP/PUA (downloads)
Features
• Malware protection: Blocks malicious programs or code that can damage your system.
• Scam protection: Blocks online scams, including technical support scams, browser lockers, and phishing.
• Advertising/tracker protection: Blocks third-party ads and third-party ad trackers that monitor your online activity. The number of blocked ads/trackers for a website will show beside the Malwarebytes logo in your browser.
• Clickbait protection: Blocks content and websites that often display behavior of questionable value.
• Potentially unwanted program (PUP) protection: Blocks the downloading of potentially unwanted programs, including toolbars and pop-ups.

IkariGradius

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 17, 2019
You may want to try Malwarebytes Browser Extension instead of Malwarebytes Premium, it's similar in terms of protection against suspicious/malicious websites & PUP/PUA (downloads)

I've heard this extension is efficient but causes lots of false positives. I'll give it a try and see for myself. If it is indeed that efficient, then maybe i'll consider deactivating the real time protection of MB as i won't be that useful. Thanks for the suggestion (y)

IkariGradius

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 17, 2019
Here's a lift of recent changes made:

- replaced Norton Security Premium by ESET Internet Security as i found it to be lighter on the system with more reliable updates
- replaced uBlock Origin browers add-ons by AdGuard (desktop), as it's more efficient and works with most browsers
- replaced Private Internet Access by HotspotShield (paid), as it's faster and more reliable, and only use a VPN occasionally to change my IP when needed
- removed Acronis True Image as i back up often and clean install should there be any problem
- removed Diskeeper as no maintenance tools are needed on a SSD
- changed my PC for a more powerful one

It's a good setup and so far it's been working great 👍

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.