iLivid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hokaru

Thread author
Apr 6, 2015
So, I've been using iLivid for 1yr+, there's nothing weird happened at all.

I know everyone is saying how bad it is I read this earlier.
http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-ilivid-virus/
When I first download and install it, I did made sure to do custom install. It didn't install anything unnecessary. It doesn't hijack my browser nor randomly pop up ads.

So, is it still safe to use as I didn't install anything unnecessary?

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
If you didn't have any issues with it and it was an intentional installation, then you can continue using it.

Hokaru

Thread author
Apr 6, 2015
So it's safe to use as long as I do the custom installation? I'm changing laptop, so I am wondering if it's will still be ok to install it.

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
So it's safe to use as long as I do the custom installation? I'm changing laptop, so I am wondering if it's will still be ok to install it.
Yes, but why do you use iLivid? Isn't it better to use software with better reputation?

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
So, I've been using iLivid for 1yr+, there's nothing weird happened at all.

I know everyone is saying how bad it is I read this earlier.
http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-ilivid-virus/
When I first download and install it, I did made sure to do custom install. It didn't install anything unnecessary. It doesn't hijack my browser nor randomly pop up ads.

So, is it still safe to use as I didn't install anything unnecessary?
iLivid isn't really a "bad" application, it just comes with unwanted PUP and Adware stuff if you don't choose carefully. It's just like Microsoft Word with Search Conduit (another bad PUP). As long as you use custom installation, iLivid will be perfectly safe to use.

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
iLivid isn't really a "bad" application, it just comes with unwanted PUP and Adware stuff if you don't choose carefully. It's just like Microsoft Word with Search Conduit (another bad PUP). As long as you use custom installation, iLivid will be perfectly safe to use.
It's actually the opposite of what you said.

Reactions: BoraMurdar

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
It's actually the opposite of what you said.
I guess it depends whether you install it manually/intentionally or not. If it came with another software package, then IT (as in iLivid) is the culprit, if it was intentionally installed then the extra components are the culprits.

Hokaru

Thread author
Apr 6, 2015
Because not only can it download torrent files, it can download most videos steaming online. I don't download just youtube videos. I like to watch asian dramas (mostly in myasiantv.com or gooddrama.net), and like to watch it using vlc, not steaming online. You can rarely find asian drama torrents. Not to mention you can pause the download and continue later. And also the play while downloading feature. I know many others like utorrent can do that, but it can't grab and download videos from any site.

And I don't want to download several downloaders...

Hokaru

Thread author
Apr 6, 2015
So, basically everyone just got those virus because they weren't careful and install everything?

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
So, basically everyone just got those virus because they weren't careful and install everything?
Someone else should make sure, but iLivid apparently is just bundled with adware (and sometimes it is installed as adware itself), it should work as normal and not harm your computer.

Adware = An item that is bundled unnoticeably with another wanted software (etc. if you got MS Word and it was bundled with Search Conduit). It has no security impacts, but will impact your privacy as the unwanted software may be spyware

Spyware = A type of adware that sends data back to the developer (example: If the Search Conduit we mentioned earlier sent your search data back to Smarter Search)

PUP (Potentially Unwanted Programs) = PUP stands for Potentially Unwanted Programs, which is used sometimes in place of Adware. These two are generally the same

From what I hear:

The Software You Want > Bundled with iLivid > iLivid Bundled with other potentially unwanted programs/adware/spyware

Simply because iLivid is pronounced as Adware as it fits the above definition, I would stay away from it unless it is very useful. It may impact your privacy and potentially other programs may be installed on your system (but not if you checked custom install).

How To Prevent These PUP/Adware:

1. Install Unchecky here.

Unchecky is used by many MalwareTips to avoid selection of potentially unwanted programs and possibly malware. Unchecky works by automatically unchecking otherwise checked "offers"

2. Use An Antivirus with Web Protection
Many antivirus include web protection, which blocks sites that allow downloading of PUP/Adware. If you don't want to fork up more money for this feature/don't want to use antivirus, you can install Adblock Plus and activate the "Malware Domains" filter. Another good one, albeit it costs money, is Adguard with the "Block Malware Sites" or "Web Browsing Protection" on.

3. Use Your Common Sense!
Even though these programs are handy, you should always use common sense when approaching a download website. If a website looks unprofessional, you shouldn't consider downloading the software (unless it's open-source).

Last edited:
Reactions: jamescv7

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
To clarify ILivid software is likely not malicious but considered as grayware/bundled PUP or PUA; the problem arises here is the reputation of a program where very known to show adverts on some questionnable and malicious websites regarding to this download manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.